𝕊pecialised Reinforcements

Annabeth put the phone on speaker when she answered it. It was almost impossible to hear someone talking over the volume of noise on the other line.

"Annabeth? Annabeth, it's Michael." The panic in Michael's voice caused Nicki's heart to drop.

Annabeth swallowed heavily. "Yeah, I'm here Michael! Nicki's here too."

"That's good, I think we'll need her. There's another army marching over the Williamsburg Bridge. Gods the Minotaur is here! We really need help. Please!"

Nicki fidgeted with her sling. "Michael, we're on our way, okay? We'll be there as soon as possible."

The boy's voice didn't seem to relax at Nicki's reassurance. "Please. Please hurry. Kayla! Get off of the car, idiot!"

Annabeth tapped Nicki's arm, pointing to where Percy was waddling out of the water. "Michael we're  coming."

Annabeth looked pretty shaken. She kept her hand on Nicki's forearm anxiously.

"It worked," Percy called as he approached the girls. "The rivers are safe." His face was bright. He had no idea what was about to come.

"Good," Annabeth said. "Because we've got other problems. Michael Yew just called. Another army is marching over the Williamsburg Bridge. The Apollo cabin needs help. And Percy, the monster leading the enemy... it's the Minotaur."

Percy's eyes flickered between the two girls, hoping for an indication that this was some sick joke.

Nicki's face was grim. "Percy we need to hurry. The scooter will take too long and I'm not sure I can travel all three of us."

Annabeth looked confused. "But it's nighttime, shouldn't that make it easier?"

"Yes, but uh- with Hecate... I'd rather not risk it." Nicki spun her snake ring around her finger nervously.

"Yeah... Yeah, okay. Hang on."

Percy did his best taxicab whistle, and within a few minutes, two dark shapes circled out of the sky. They looked like hawks at first, but as they descended Nicki could make out the long galloping legs of pegasi.

Blackjack landed at a trot, his friend Porkpie right behind him. Nicki's stomach twisted. Last time she had seen Porkpie was after Zoë had...

"Thanks for coming," Percy told the pegasi. "Hey, why do pegasi gallop as they fly, anyway?"

Blackjack whinnied.

Annabeth and Nicki shared a look that clearly read something along the lines of: weird.

"We need to get to the Williamsburg Bridge," Percy said.

Blackjack lowered his neck. Percy motioned for the girls to get onto the pegasi. Nicki hesitated before awkwardly climbing onto Porkpie behind Annabeth. That way they had someone who could do somewhat long-range fighting on both pegasi.

On the way to the bridge, a knot formed in the pit of Nicki's stomach. Part of her wished she had taken up her grandmother's offer of staying in Salem until it was safe.

The other part of her knew that she would've run headfirst back to the fighting even if she had taken up the offer.

The trio saw the battle before they were close enough to make out individual fighters. It was well after midnight now, but the bridge blazed with light. Cars were burning. Arcs of fire streamed in both directions as flaming arrows and spears sailed through the air.