𝕄ama Ethan

Nicki tugged at the end of her aviator jacket sleeves nervously. Her black hair whipped around her, stinging her cheeks in its flurry. Her half-closed eyes watered from the biting wind, leaving them bloodshot.

"How much longer?" The words were ripped from her mouth faster than she could force them out.

In front of Nicki, Annabeth shot a glance over her shoulder at the girl. The blonde spat her hair out of her mouth, a stressed frown glued to her face. "Not quite sure, but we're riding straight into a storm."

Nicki pulled a face back at Annabeth, waving her arm around wildly. "Really? I'd never have guessed thanks, Einstein."

"Y'know, if you two sat down, it wouldn't be as windy." Ethan rested his head against the chariot with a sigh. He had wedged himself on the floor between Annabeth and Butch.

Nicki stared at him. "Who sits on a chariot floor?"

"Me, duh."

The chariot lurched as they drive closer to the storm. In a heap of limbs, Nicki fell to the chariot floor in front of Ethan. "Ow." Nicki groaned. "A warning would've been nice, Butch."

"Sorry, but look! Now, you're on the floor too!" Butch shot Nicki an overzealous wink, waning him a glare.

Annabeth nudged the son of Iris. "She's sensitive, behave."

Scowling, Nicki pushed herself to her feet.

"Closing in on the canyon." Butch turned to Nicki. "You ready?"

The daughter of Hecate pulled the tail of her snake ring roughly, dragging the ring across her fingers.

A purple shimmering sword slid into existence, resting in Nicki's grip like it belonged there. The faint glow radiating from it seemed to darken the shadows in the chariot.

Ethan struggled to his feet. His fingers slipped into Nicki's gently. Squeezing her hand, Ethan couldn't contain his excitement.

Bouncing from foot to foot, Ethan grinned. "I can't wait to see Percy again!"

"You're in love with him," Annabeth complained, spinning to face Ethan. "You are madly in love with him, aren't you?"

"No!" The boy answered hastily.

Annabeth raised an eyebrow. "Are you madly in love with anyone?"

"No!"

Nicki started coughing aggressively in an attempt to hide her laughter. Thumping her on her back, Ethan laughed awkwardly. Nicki cleared her throat. "Sorry, I had ah uh... a fly in my mouth..."

Butch snorted but returned his focus to the chariot.

Looking between the other three demigods confused, Annabeth shook her head.

As the chariot neared the landing zone, three figures came into view, none of which donning the signature mop that belonged to Percy Jackson.

"Exiting on your cue, Nicki." The black-haired girl nodded, her eyes trained painfully ahead of her. Annabeth slipped her hand on top of Ethan and Nicki's intertwined hands, squeezing softly before following Nicki's gaze.

Nicki had leapt out of the chariot before Butch had even landed it. Twirling her sword menacingly around her arm, she stormed toward the group.

"Where is he?" She demanded.

Ethan couldn't help but pity them. Butch stayed with the chariot to reign in the pegasi while the other two demigods strolled toward the group. Annabeth's gip on her dagger tightened when she saw Nicki's shoulders tighten.