𝕀s this goodbye?

The seat of Poseidon stood just to the right of Zeus's, but it wasn't nearly as grand. The moulded black leather seat was attached to a swivel pedestal, with a couple of iron rings on the side for fastening a fishing pole (or a trident). Basically, it looked like a chair on a deep-sea boat, that you would sit in if you wanted to hunt shark or marlin or sea monsters.

Gods in their natural state are about twenty feet tall, so Percy could just reach the edge of the seat if he stretched his arms.

"Help me up," Percy told Annabeth and Grover.

"Are you crazy?" Annabeth asked.

"Probably," Percy admitted.

"Percy," Grover said, "the gods really don't appreciate people sitting in their thrones. I mean like turn-you-into-a-pile-of-ashes don't appreciate it."

"I need to get his attention," Percy said. "It's the only way."

They exchanged uneasy looks. Annabeth looked at Nicki for help.

Shrugging her good arm, Nicki marched over to a golden throne near Poseidon's. "He has a fair point," She commented.

"Well," Annabeth said, "this'll get his attention."

They linked their arms to make a step and then boosted Percy onto the throne. When Percy looked up, he saw Nicki perched on the armrest of Apollo's massive golden throne. It was decorated with two laurel wreaths on the back, with a shining sun above. It was occupied by a wolfskin cushion for Apollo to sit on.

Nicki felt like a baby with her feet so high off the ground. She looked around at the other gloomy, empty thrones, and she could imagine what it would be like sitting on the Olympian Council—so much power but so much arguing, always eleven other gods trying to get their way.

Nicki hummed to herself as she waited. Her mind wandered to Ethan as she hummed Stay Beautiful. She wondered where he was at that moment, and if he was okay.

Phoenix?  Nicki almost jumped out of her skin when Apollo's voice echoed in her head.

"Uh hi. I know I'm not meant to be here but I needed to get your attention."

Consider my attention yours for the next minute, then.

"Is... Is this it? Is this when my prophecy finishes?" Nicki's panic increased when she received no reply. "Apollo, please. I need to say goodbye!"

My Phoenix, you have made me and your grandfather so proud. And your mother, even if she does not show it as she should.

"So, this is it? I guess I was hoping for a more dramatic death."

Only you would care for such matters before you die. If Nicki didn't know any better, she'd say Apollo was crying instead of laughing. Phoenix, I know you don't like it, but please take as much nectar as you can before you leave the throne room. For me.

"Thank you, for everything."

Always, Nicki.

"See you on the other side, Fred."

Nicki slipped down from the throne. She shakily wiped her cheeks before any of the others could notice she was crying.

Fortunately, they were too busy focusing on the smouldering Percy. Grover studied him nervously. "Are you okay? You turned pale and... you started smoking."

"I did not!" Then Percy looked at his arms. Steam was curling off his shirtsleeves. The hair on his arms was singed.

"If you'd sat there any longer," Annabeth said, "you would've spontaneously combusted. I hope the conversation was worth it?"