Chapter 74: Wedding Plans

"Well, you've met my family before, but that didn't exactly.. go well," RedRunner admitted to Feather, rubbing the back of his neck before stretching his wings out in the hallway. The pale SkyWing's expression changed entirely at the mention of RedRunner's family, frowning with a worried expression as her wings clamped tightly to her sides.

     Just a moment before, Feather was mentioning her parents, and when she remembered that RedRunner had never met them she offered to introduce him to them.

     They had also decided to take a break from egg duty for a few days, and hired a very qualified egg-sitter.

     RedRunner frowned as well.

    "Hey, it's okay," he attempted to comfort her, walking up and covered her with his wing.

    "They're all either locked up or dead."

     His fiancée looked into his eyes with a grim expression, her sapphire-blue eyes watery.

     "Ever since the second attack- er- the.. kidnapping.. whenever I think of any of your (dangerous) family members, I stiffen and I.... my wings just- lock up..." she murmured looking down and away.

     RedRunner looked at her with sorrow in his eyes and, to Feather's surprise (but not really), he gently grabbed her chin, bringing her to face him, and kissed her deeply.

     As they broke apart, the orange SkyWing was smiling faintly. RedRunner grinned wider than her.

    "We can do something about that. Maybe hire a counselor, or a therapist. But either way, I'll make sure you're taken care of. Now, we have families to visit and a wedding to plan!"

     Just as RedRunner was about to take off (carrying Feather, of course), a panic-stricken Lady Ruby came barreling through the open doorway to the palace hall. The couple backed up in shock.

     Panting, she called out weakly, "Flint~ I need to find Fli.. Wh-where is.. he?"

     RedRunner quickly pointed to the entrance to the Sunroom, trying to indicate that Flint was down in the dungeon, alongside most other guards at the moment. The former Queen nodded feebly before clambering to the entrance and half gliding-half falling of the ledge.

     RedRunner and Feather exchanged a worried glance.

    "Do- do you think we should go check out what's happening just.. well, you know, just in case?" Feather asked with concern.

    "Well.. whatever it is, I'm sure Flint can handle it.. he is a Firescales after all," RedRunner decided, curling his wing around Feather's back once more with a slightly wistful expression.

    "Anyway..." RedRunner sighed tearing his gaze away from the door to the Sunroom. Feather glanced up at him.

    "We still have a lot of stuff to do, so we better get working on it."

    "We can start by going to my parents' den! They don't live too far away and they can help us arrange and plan the wedding," Feather piped up excitedly.

     RedRunner rolled his eyes playfully and asked, "I suppose I'm carrying you then?"

     Feather giggled, blushing slightly.

    "I guess so."

     The duo continued their laughing as RedRunner lifted Feather into the sky by her riding on his back. She clung onto his bright red armor, clearly thinking this was the funniest thing ever.

    "Alright, which direction are we headed to?" RedRunner asked, grunting with the effort of keeping both of their weight in the air.

    "Head Southeast until you an see the small, copper dragon statue, then go straight South for about a mile," she recalled.

     As the two SkyWings flew away, a shadowy figure who had overheard their entire conversation lurked in the darkness behind the decorative pillars.

    "A Firescales, huh?"

     As it said that, a fiery figure blazed by, murmuring something about the Queen being in danger. The shadow barked a bitter laugh.

    "A Firescales and the Queen is in danger! This will be easier that I imagined!" it growled gleefully, lashing its dark tail in anticipation.