Chapter 5 -Anju

I left Sijuade at the residence we were temporarily staying in, to tour the city. I had my disguise on as an easterner.

So, this was the famous place papa talked about.
I tried my best avoiding stepping foot here but the wish was short lived.

I behaved like a traveler who went sightseeing. After asking for directions to the famous place a traveler can see, I was told to check out the shrine of the gods. I never knew they had such a place. I decided to take a look and pay a visit to the gods. They had some questions to answer, I thought.

I asked for the right directions and a short route to follow. But my visions, like a flash, showed me the right path to follow. It took me twenty minutes, the place not being far from where I was staying at the foreigner residence.

I heard stories about the gods of Nijiria of each tribe. God Obgi, god Oryuba, goddess Asuha, and goddess of my clan, goddess Anya. How they came from our motherland Nijiria, blessing their descendants with their gift. Making us unique from outsiders.

Legend has it that these gods were the children of Nijiria and dwelled here. Giving their descendants a tiny part of their gift to continue to create life here. They lived in peace and harmony sharing knowledge of their powers amongst themselves and making sure their descendants continued to protect the land.

Keeping a neutral face, I stared at the entrance of the gods' shine. Before me, was a huge golden gate about ten foot tall. It had the map of Nijiria being held by four hands. Each hand, had a symbol on it representing the different deity of each tribe. Goddess Anya's hand had been painted black. It felt like they saw her hand as a curse. My jaw clenched at the sight.

With each step I took, I tightened the hold of my headscarf. Stepping into the grounds of the shrine.

"My gods!!" I inhaled the sight before me

If it was eleven years ago. I would be jumping on my feet, happy about learning more about my brothers and sister clan. Instead I felt disgusted. All the anger I always suppressed was on the verge of surfacing. My hands tightened into fists.

Hypocrites!!

Liars!!

Each of them, starting with those in power, the so called CHOSEN FOUR. Not only did they kill us all, they killed one of us that sat on the throne with them, poisoned him in cold blood. Now they painted our goddess hand black.
Why were we blind that night? How were they sure we won't be able to see their attack beforehand? Did papa know what was coming? Why didn't he say anything? Did our goddess leave us along the way? Why didn't she show us? Did the other gods plan this against us? Was that meant to be the end of us? What was the reason behind the betrayal and how did they know that night we were vulnerable? Did anyone else survive except me?
Why goddess Anya? Stop showing me stupid visions and answer my question?

I tried my best to look for a reason to be adored by the beauty, not for a frown to be plastered on my face like it is now. My rage churned up. I could feel it swimming around my eyes.

I wanted to see ashes of burnt offerings on the floor, putrefying trees permeated on either side of the path, their branches without leaves or fruits but black like the fingers of a skeleton, blood covering the path leading to the deity, the air to have a pungent of smell of garbage and shattered hope, smoke of burnt faiths. I wanted this place to look exactly how I felt when I thought of this place.

I know none of this matters. Only thing I should concentrate on is finding Papa and Jireh then leaving this land, going somewhere faraway. Though, many times I wondered if they were ever alive, I needed a clue, a vision or at least something that could give me a hint that he was still breathing and searching for me.