Chapter break (part 2)

**SHORT STORY**

OMASIRI IN CENTRAL CITY.

This is the first time I've left home for a distant place and it just has to be alone. I've only read about the central city in books, never did I think I'll end up here. Growing up, I was told I wouldn't be given the chance to join the council of twelve so I had no business with the central city. But here I am, in the central city, formerly called habu city. There isn't much record on habu or the creation of the central city, all that we know is that it was formed by an alliance between the four tribes and it is where the chosen four and council of twelve reside. Also, it is a big platform for trade, all tribes are equal and welcome here, and that's all we know about the central city. There's nothing on Habu though, I don't know where I saw it from but the central city is surely Habu but nobody seems to know about any Habu ever existing so yeah, it's either I am crazy or they are crazy and it is the latter.

"Oga, how long till central city?" asked the woman who was sitting beside me. I tried my best not to notice her since the trip but I couldn't help it. Her face was covered with a scarf, she left only her eyes open, and her outfit covered her body from head to toe, and she was completely covered.

"Madam, this is the third time you're asking. We are already there." our driver replied. I was in the cheapest boat that drives from the east to the central city. It was a total of two days' journey to the central city because our boat was very slow. I ate nothing but 'okpa' throughout my journey. Being poor stinks and I'll put an end to my-my family's misery from now on. I will work hard and become the best inventor in the central city. Since I've been forbidden from joining the council of twelve, I will be successful in other ways.

"Where?" asked the man that was sitting behind the lady and me. "I can't see anything but the sea, where is the central city?!" he shouted at the driver. Considering how loud he was, he had to be a westerner, he even had pele marks to prove my guess right.

"If you were so impatient why didn't you enter another boat?" asked the driver finally losing his temper. Everyone knew why this boat was the cheapest in the east. It is because it is the slowest and smallest boat. The boat can take only four people, three passengers and the driver. It had no roof so driving during the rainy season was a risk.

"What? I am paying for this and you dare talk to me this way.!" the man shouted back at the driver. I hate it when people behave like this. They already knew what would happen entering this boat.

"Don't make other people uncomfortable because you don't have money." I suddenly muttered. I had no intention of doing that.

"What?!" the man from behind demanded to know what I was talking about. Oh, gods. I got up from my seat and faced him. The boat was a bit unstable due to the waves but my height has always been on the balance side.

"I said, if you don't have money, you can just bare the trip like the rest of us are doing." I flashed him a thirty-two.

"Look at this tiny yellow girl. Who do you think you're talking to like that?!" he demanded as he stood up.

"What did I say wrong? At least we can all understand the woman, she's unwell but you, all you've done is complain since we entered the boat." I defended myself.

"But i-"

"You what?" I interrupted him. "Is it that hard to sit still and wait? From when we left the port till now all you've done is inconvenience everyone with your shouting So far, we've been travelling for about forty-two hours so we should be in the central city any time from now, if you understand that, you can sit back. We would be in the central city now. Thank you." I spoke with fake calmness in my voice and took my seat after. The driver looked back and smiled at me and I returned the smile.