Chapter 15- Anju

It is called the god's rain to foreigners but we always called it 'Anya's gate'.

Anya was the one who made such a wonder possible. Not only did we refer to it as her gate in the south, but we also called it her blessing, showers of blessings. It was a ritual in the south to drink from this gate every morning. It was said to sharpen your sight and bless your day.

Papa made sure we always drank from it. It never ceased, it never ran out, it was endless so I wonder why.

I wonder why it ceased that day, that morning. For a whole day, Anya's gate ceased, it didn't pour water. For that whole day, every southerner tried to act like it was nothing unordinary when we all knew it wasn't. For a whole day, we sensed the bad omen but couldn't see the direction it would come from.

For that day we were blind, the southern tribe couldn't foresee it, our death. And for that, I will never forgive Anya, Anya who betrayed her people, Anya who held her blessings back on the day we needed it the most.

"So do I just go through it?" asked Omasiri snapping me back into reality.

"Huh? Sorry?" I was jolted back by her question.

"Gods Oma, does it seem like there's another entrance?" asked Siju.

"It is the south. Their ways are not our ways. They operate differently. Nabila will get, she's of the north, and their ways are also distinct. Don't you agree Nabila?" asked Oma.

"Uhm..mm.." said Nabila looking at the two of them confused.

"There's no point in this, Anju we just drive through like this right?" said Siju as he pushed the lever forward and took the wheel forcefully from Oma.

"Gods Sijuade! Are you trying to kill us?" complained Oma as the boat approached the god's rain.

I hate it here, I hate this rain. I just wi-

"Hey, you've been out of it ever since you called it the god's rain. I'm saying this only for selfish reasons so can you please let go of whatever thought you have and get us through this?" Nabila said nudging her head towards Omasiri and Sijuade who were now fighting for the wheel.

"Just drive through.'' I finally said letting out a breath. Nabila was right. I didn't come here to be angry. Papa always said three things clouded our sight and hence our judgement, anger or hatred, fear and love. I always wondered if the third one was true as a child. Why would love cloud your sight?

"Drive through? The pressure of the rain seems like a lot." said Oma to me.

"It will part ways, there's a southerner here, me," I said pointing at my face.

"Woo..ow you southerners are just, wow," said Nabila clapping and smiling at me genuinely.

Nabila, it's been a while since I felt familiar with someone.

"Here goes nothing," said Oma as she pushed the lever up.

I could feel the speed of the boat rising. We were closer to the wall now. It will open, it always opens i reassured myself. Had I been younger, I would've known for sure that it would open, but after the blind night, I think Anya made her intentions clear, she didn't want us anymore. So who knows? She might still feel the same and keep us out now. There's no other way into the south that I know of.

Oma closed her eyes the closer we approached. Nabila held both of her shoulders and closed her eyes too. Siju gripped his seat firmly and stared at the gate with fear. And I was grateful, to have people willing to die with me, I am grateful. If it was before, I wouldn't mind dying here, right now.
But now, I am not taking no for an answer, we will survive and Oma would get a good night's sleep. I closed my eyes and focused my attention on the gate and stared at it in my mind with all my concentration. If Anya wouldn't let me in, I will force my way in, it is my privilege as a southerner.