Chapter 8

Joshua hadn't seen anything as marvelous as Zac's transformation since Hunter first showed him her powers. The way his skin morphed and shaped into an entirely different person was enough to send his scientist mind reeling. From behind him, Joshua heard Eli mutter something like "Holy mother of Twinkies", and Jenny didn't speak at all.

Now, a young boy of about seventeen stood before them in a pink bathrobe and slippers. He had mousy brown hair and a pubescent complexion, looking like he may explode with excitement as he grinned goofily at them.

"So. You guys gonna come in or what?"

Hesitantly, Joshua followed Zac inside the cabin. It hadn't changed at all since he'd stayed there after escaping ICE. Still the same powerful scent of cinnamon, pine and old books. It made Joshua instantly sleepy, because he associated that smell with safety and comfort. The cabin itself was larger inside than it appeared outside, with multiple levels and a staircase on the right leading up to the bedrooms. Joshua remembered the kitchen on the left, the wide bench overlooking the living area where there were two fireplaces and too many Native American cushions on the sofas to the right. The living area was lined with five giant glass windows - one being a double door leading to the backyard where a windy path through the trees met the lake just down the way.

The day Joshua arrived at the cabin after two disorientating days of driving and a stressful night at a motel on the edge of the highway with a screaming baby was unforgettable. The cabin seemed like the most beautiful place in the world. Joshua remembered walking through the doors with Hunter asleep in his arms, lighting a fire in the fireplace and watching Hunter waddle up to the flames and wave her hand through them as though nothing about that were strange. And the house was empty and quiet and washed away every fear he had, because he knew it was safe. This cabin was where Joshua planned how he would live the rest of his life, and how he would raise Hunter. They sat out by the lake every day, even though he didn't like the sun. Joshua read some of the doctor's old books in his office upstairs. Simple things like listening to the cicadas chirp at night as Hunter fell asleep in his arms were a joy to remember.

This cabin was filled with memories, and now ... it was filled with people.

Faces gazed at the three newcomers as Zac led them into the living room. Joshua's heart throbbed as his eyes swept over the crowd but did not find Hunter's. He felt weak at the knees, praying nothing had happened to her.

"Who are they, Zac?" asked a frail girl with dead-blond hair and ghost-like features. In fact, every one of them looked very hollow in the eyes and drained of energy. Joshua knew that look. They came from ICE.

"That's Joshua, Hunter's guardian," said a small girl of about eight. She had a dreamy air about her as her green eyes swept over him. "And that's Hunter's school teacher, Jenny, who really likes Joshua. The feeling is mutual."

Joshua's mouth fell open and he shot a glance at Jenny, whose entire face went red. Telepathy, Joshua guessed instantly. It has to be.

"And that's ..." The girl gasped when she turned her compelling gaze to Eli. "Oh my goodness."

"What?" asked Zac, looking back and forth between the two. "Who is it Fearne?"

"That's Eli."

"Hunter's dead boyfriend?" asked the eldest girl.

"I thought that guy killed him." Zac waved a finger at Joshua, who felt a shiver slide over his body. Who were these kids and how did they know everything about him?

"Zac, remember when we talked about tact? Now is when you use it."

"Thank you Chantal," he spat.