Chapter 39

Will could feel the knife in his leg, but he had no desire to pull it out. That would slow him down. Besides, Chantal and Fearne were weakened as well and could not carry Imogen to safety faster than him, even with a six-inch buried in his leg.

The forest path around them was dark, his vision affected by the haze of pain over his eyes. Chantal urged them to hurry, but Will could hardly walk let alone carry little Immi. Fearne was right beside him, trying to channel peace into his mind. But it didn't stop him from worrying about leaving the others behind.

They reached the porch and Chantal threw open the back door. Inside, the house was silent and sinister. Will lowered Imogen into the armchair chair.

"Help me lock the doors Fearne," said Chantal.

Fearne nodded, running to the back door while Chantal ran to the front. Will grit his teeth and ripped the knife from his thigh, growling from the sting. It had been a week since he'd felt any kind of brutal pain, and it burned.

When he looked up, a shadow slipped past the kitchen window.

He froze, listening. There was a shuffle of footsteps.

"Fearne," he whispered. The girl whipped around.

There was a squeal of fright from the front entryway and, next minute, an Agent appeared holding Chantal in front of him, his hand wrapped around her chest and the other over her mouth so she couldn't persuade him to release her. Her eyes were wide with fear as she begged him for help.

"Drop the knife," he said to Will.

He obeyed.

"Hello Fearne," the Agent said. "My name is Alpha."

"I know who you are," she said. "And I know what you're doing here."

Will watched them make eye contact for more than ten seconds and knew she was hiding something from him.

"Fearne," he said under his breath. "Make him go away, change his mind."

"I can't read his mind," she said. Something about her tone told Will she was lying. Even though Fearne was one of the best liars he'd met, he knew her better than anyone.

"We have no intention of going back," Will said to Alpha. "Let Chantal go."

The Agent pushed Chantal down the stairs into the living room, keeping a firm grip on her. She squirmed in his arms but stopped the moment Alpha brought out a long blade and rested the tip against her side.

"I don't want to be violent with you. But I don't care that you're all mutants – I do my job and I get it done properly. There'll be no hiccups."

At that moment, two more Agents appeared from behind Alpha. They were Chinese, tough-looking and emotionless. Will looked behind him in panic. Where are the others?

"We can do this the easy way or the hard way."

"Whatever way you chose will be the last thing you ever do," said Will.

"Very well."

Instantly, the blade went into Chantal's hip.

She screamed.

"No!" Fearne shrieked. "I'll do it, please don't hurt her!"

Will's heart was beating erratically in his chest. He didn't expect the Agent to be so cruel. Then again, he was Dr. Wolfe's employee. Of course he'd have no mercy.

You idiot, you could have gotten her killed.

Tears of pain rolled down Chantal's cheeks as she slumped in Alpha's arms.