Chapter 97

When Ryo arrived at the White House – directly beside the ambulance she knew Hunter would either be in already or be taken to soon – she felt the crowd jump back in shock as soon as she materialized. Ryo ignored them, too anxious of what had occurred while she was at the army base. As happy as she was to be able to turn back time again, she wasn't sure she'd get another chance. She had to be extremely careful.

Ryo stalked up to the nearest policeman.

"Where's General Rogers?"

The policeman had clearly not seen her apparition and looked her up and down. "Get back in the crowd kid, it's dangerous-"

At that moment, the people outside stopped cheering. Ryo's heart leapt. She ran to the front of the crowd.

There, she saw Hunter. Battered and bruised, she came out of the White House building and limped toward the crowd.

And beside her, there was a boy. He was her height, with dark hair and slumped shoulders. He had his arm around Hunter. It had to be Jack.

It was such a surreal sight. Hunter – though weakened by the battle – did not look defeated. She was so beautiful, a hero inside and out. Jack was no longer the dark figure Hunter described him to be. He was saddened and crushed with guilt as he leant against Hunter and they walked to the crowd, out of the smoke and dust.

As Ryo tried to stop the tears from spilling out of her eyes, someone pushed through the mob of people. She heard a police officer ask him to step back, but he shouted "that's my best friend!" and then Eli broke through the crowd. He sprinted to Jack, who looked up and smiled so wide, a burst of joy went through Ryo. They nearly knocked each other over with their embrace. The crowd began to cheer. Hunter stared at the two boys in tears until they opened their arms and wrapped her in a hug too. Hunter, Jack and Eli, re-united once again.

Ryo liked to think she had a hand in saving Jack's life – and Mikayla's, as well – and that made it special. She didn't care that Jet was dead.

The crowd stopped cheering for Hunter and were now hissing at Jack. Ryo had to jump over the bodies thronging around her. "It's Destructo," people were saying. Ryo saw someone throw something at Jack.

"Hey back off!" Hunter shouted at them, but they weren't listening, they were shouting at him, cursing. And why wouldn't they? He'd just destroyed their White House.

The police and national security were trying to tear Jack away from Hunter and place him under arrest when Ryo finally reached her.

"Ryo?" Hunter frowned. "What happened at the army base?"

"It's all under control," she said. "But I need you to come with me. There's something you have to do. I'm so sorry, but you must leave Jack here."

"I can't," she said. "They're arresting him and I have to stop them!"

Ryo caught Jack's eyes. They were so filled with regret. He let the policemen wrench his hands behind his back. They weren't gentle with him either. Jack was thrown to the gravel and cuffed tightly.

Hunter shoved a policeman. "What the hell are you doing to him?!"

General Rogers suddenly appeared beside them. "We're doing what needs to be done. This boy has killed hundreds of our men and destroyed our nation's capital. No matter what you say, Miss Harrison, he is in our care now and-"

"He's unstable," she growled. "If you treat him like that, you could push him over the edge again!"

General Rogers glanced at Jack uncertainly. One of the officers with a mean smirk was holding him down, squeezing his face against the pavement.

Ryo hadn't thought this part through. Jack had killed so many people. He had demolished the White House, putting the entire country in danger. Even though he looked innocent now, no one could deny his actions. In fact, there was proof.

The police surrounded Jack, their guns raised, fear on their faces. Jack let them secure him roughly, gazing at the crowd who looked down on him in loathing. He did not fight back, taking it on his shoulders.

"Go Hunter," he said to her. "I deserve whatever punishment they have for me."

"No," she replied in a tired voice, "you don't. You were acting on Dr. Wolfe's orders and a slave to the darkness, they just don't understand-"

"And they won't." Jack gave her a sad smile as the officers dragged him to his feet. Two SWAT soldiers joined them, their guns pointed at Jack's head. "Not until they see me surrender." He nodded at the officer beside him, who glanced at General Rogers for permission. Ryo saw that he looked not only angry, but nervous. She would be, too, if she was arresting someone as dangerous as Jack.

"Where are you taking him?" asked Hunter.

"Somewhere secure," said the General. "We'll take care of it Hunter, don't worry."

Eli had somehow been excluded from the private arrest, but suddenly broke through the police barricade again and ran to Hunter's side. "What the hell are they doing?"

"They're taking him away," said Hunter with tears in her eyes.

"But Jack, you-"

"Don't worry about me," he said. The policemen lifted him to the right and shoved him toward the back of a SWAT vehicle where six armed guards climbed in after him. "You have more people to save!"

Tears spilled out of Hunter's eyes. Ryo gently touched her arm. "I know it's hard. But there is no one stronger than you."

"You said that," she murmured angrily. "But I don't feel strong right now."

Ryo was about to take her hand when suddenly, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs appeared beside them.

"It's over," he said dejectedly, out of breath. "The President is dead."

Some of the policemen close-by heard the statement and before they could stop it, the news spread like wildfire and people were screaming.

Ryo stood, dumbfounded.

"No. What happened?!"

"We received a live broadcast from the bunker at the army base. General Chang shot the President because ... because they knew we were trying to hack their network and stop them from gaining technological control. They were never bluffing."

Ryo shook her head. "No, we were going to save him-"

"You couldn't," General Rogers spat. "You were too late."

Hunter looked down at Ryo, who felt the weight of his words fall on her shoulders.

You're too late.

Ryo didn't know what happened then, but suddenly, the world disappeared. Her body was teleporting without her consent. Was it taking her to the army base? Would she find her brother, Zac, Chantal and everyone else dead? Was it the telepath who created this disaster, or the General himself?

But Ryo did not re-surface in the army base. Instead, she opened her eyes to her room at the SSS.

And it was 5pm.