Chapter 16

Dr. Winston Wolfe was a complicated mind, as most men of science are. He often found himself struck by an idea whilst in the middle of something completely irrelevant to his thoughts. For instance, he was once operating on a young boy who had the power to glow as brightly as the sun. Dr. Wolfe couldn't quite remember what had distracted him, but the human eye is almost just as complex as the human mind. He made one little slip and the boy was blind.

But that didn't matter now, because Sammy was dead.

Dr. Wolfe was in one of his deep-thought moods, so consumed that he hardly noticed the chaos around him. The scientists in the lab were running back and forth, trying to look hurried just like he'd asked. They barely glanced at him.

Dr. Wolfe was thinking of one thing, and one thing only:

Power.

That morning, Hunter and Will escaped. He didn't know how it was possible that Ryo found them again when the entire time he'd known her, she hadn't once been able to teleport or travel in time. Nothing he ever did could break her. Now suddenly she was teleporting into places she'd never been before.

She had to have outside help, which meant that they survived. They had all escaped.

"Dr. Wolfe!"

He halted in the middle of the corridor, frowning for a moment when he forgot where he was. Dr. Hosking came running up to him. She looked more distressed than he'd ever seen her.

"Yes?"

"The Agents have arrived."

Dr. Wolfe nodded and turned back to her. "Meeting room, now."

She nodded and scuttled back to the elevator. Dr. Wolfe wiped a hand over his bald head and stalked in the opposite direction. He threw open the meeting room door and went straight to the drinks table in the corner, pouring himself a glass of scotch, forgetting about the ice. He took a moment to collect himself before sitting down at the head of the long, black table and waited.

One glass later, they arrived.

Seven men in black suits swarmed into the room. There were only ever seven — if one was killed on the job, another would replace him — all very qualified to collect quickly and efficiently without asking questions. Dr. Wolfe liked his Agents, especially when they brought back someone new and wonderful for him to explore. They did the job well, never faltering.

"Gentlemen," said Dr. Wolfe as he stood in greeting. "Welcome back."

They took seats at the long table but did not say a word. He didn't know their names; that was not how they worked. They had rankings.

"Alpha," he greeted the head of the table — a man with a strong neck and jawline, obvious build beneath his suit and dark, terrorizing eyes. He was a killer, and Dr. Wolfe's most trusted employee. "Any news?"

Alpha leaned forward on the table, regarding his fellow Agents. "We used every resource you gave us, Dr. Wolfe. But we found no path to the children."

Dr. Wolfe's lip twitched and he entwined his fingers together, resting his elbows on the cool table. "No path? No path at all?"

Alpha said nothing, his eye contact never faltering.

Dr. Wolfe couldn't take it anymore. He slammed his fists down on the desk. None of the men flinched.

"There were eight of them, and they walked through the mountains on FOOT! How did you not find them?"

"Dr. Wolfe, they stole a jeep. They disappeared on another road, and when we tracked them to town, they'd taken another vehicle. They're smart. Not to mention they knew we'd be following them. They used their powers to get away."

"Oh please," he snorted. "They don't know how to take care of themselves any more than they can drive a car."

"With all due respect, sir, I think you've underestimated those kids. They learned from the last time we took them, and now they're working together. They're gone. We're still following up some leads, but it's gonna take some time. Is there anything else-"

"Yes, there is." Dr. Wolfe got to his feet and started pacing the room. "I have only one week left until the army arrives. Then we will put our plan into action. But I cannot run the risk of a bunch of misfit kids sitting out there, waiting for me to reveal myself, especially when they know exactly how to find me!" His voice grew to a yell and the men looked uncomfortably at their hands or the opposite walls. But not Alpha. He remained focused and unafraid.

"We'll find them Dr. Wolfe. But we need more assistance."

"I realize that," he sighed again. "Follow your leads, get back to me if you find anything. And please take Jet and Mikayla — those two have been grinding on my nerves. I need them out of my sight. And take the mutants with you as well."

This time, Alpha frowned. "Sir?"

"My mutants. They're a little out of control, but I've found a way to target their rage. I only have a dozen of them left. I've managed to install in them a mind control simulation using one of the formulas I've developed. They only want to find the children, and I've programed them to listen to your commands."

"Understood."

"In the meantime ..." Dr. Wolfe felt a pang in his heart as he said, "We will be leaving this institution. I will send word of our new coordinates. It is no longer safe for us here."

"Yes sir. Is there a priority?"

Dr. Wolfe thought only for a few seconds before his immediate answer came to mind. "I want the Iceman, alive. I am certain he is with them. If you can get Hunter, that will also work. She is Joshua's weakness. I need her alive."

"Consider it done."

"And one last thing." The doctor took a deep breath before handing Alpha a black box the length of a pen. "Your target is Fearne. She was once my greatest weapon, and is now my greatest threat. This is the only way to stop her from stopping me. Use it at your discretion."

Alpha took the box. "Yes sir."

"It won't be long now before Jack will wake. And when he does, we will unite with the Chinese army to destroy this country. I don't need any kind of hero getting in my way." He turned to the Agents. "Kill them."