Chapter 82

"I changed."

Jack puffed his chest out, as though he were proud of this fact. In the White House, Hunter could hear nothing. All of the soldiers were either dead or keeping very still and watching her. Outside, there were sirens and screams from the public.

"I found my true purpose," he continued, gazing out the window and envisioning his transformation.

"To be a monster?" she said. "No, that's not your purpose Jack. You wanted to be a hero like in your comic books."

"They're fiction, Hunter. True power doesn't come from being a hero. Being a hero means you get stepped on for doing the right thing, you get criticized for trying to do good deeds and you get squashed by people like me."

Jack began to stroll toward her. Hunter found her feet rooted to the spot. Before she knew it, he was right in front of her and suddenly, Jack swung his oversized fist and it collided with her rib cage. She huffed out air and went skidding along the dusty ground of the foyer. Jack stomped over her and grabbed a hold of her hair.

"Come here," he snarled and wrenched her to her feet.

Suddenly, there was gunfire. Jack's body twitched violently and he dropped her, turning around to face the shooter. When Hunter looked up off the dusty ground, she saw the soldier she'd spoken with before, his rifle aimed at Jack.

No, Hunter thought. Images of his wife and daughter filled her mind, even if she had no idea what they looked like.

"Leave the lady alone," he growled. "Don't make me blow your head off your shoulders."

"Run!" Hunter called out to him.

She heard Jack chuckle so darkly, it gave her shivers. He raised his hands as if in surrender, and as he did, the soldier dropped his gun. His entire body started to quiver. Hunter had seen this before, deep in the Death Caves.

"We'll see whose head explodes first, won't we?"

A moment later, the soldier's head exploded. His body flopped over a slab of metal.

Hunter lowered her head and tried to stop herself from crying.

Jack crouched down beside her. "Don't cry Hunter," he said and gripped a fistful of her hair, wrenching her head back so he could look into her tear-stained face. "He's not the first soldier to die for his country tonight, and he won't be the last. Now what were you saying about heroes?"

"I was saying," she breathed, "that it's not too late to be one."

"Let her go Jack!"

Both of them turned and saw Eli stepping over the dust-shadowed debris. With her head tipped back and his hand around her throat, Hunter found it hard to see if Jack had recognized his childhood friend. Eli certainly couldn't recognize him. He was slowly making his way toward them with his hands raised and his eyes filled with sadness.

No, not him too.

Jack chuckled under his breath and muttered, "this will be fun." Then he threw Hunter hard on the ground. She felt as if her hip had cracked.

Jack stalked to Eli. "Hey, buddy!"

"Jack," said Eli in a cautious voice. "C-could you like ... stop being a dick for a little while?"

Jack laughed. "And why would I do that?"

Hunter pushed herself to her feet, shaking. Jack had his back to her and she waved at Eli to run. Please, don't hurt him Jack!

"Because you're killing people, bro. You're not with it, and if you let me I'll help you get on your feet again."

Jack was so close to him, he could reach out and snap his neck. Hunter knew the only way to save Eli was to make him run.