Chapter 75

For the first time since Jenny's life had turned completely upside down, she didn't know where to stand. Everyone around her was busy doing something, and yet she didn't have a place to be or a job to do or anything at all to prepare for. Joshua and the Captain were talking in hushed tones, Eli had run off after Amelia to say his goodbyes, all of those with superpowers were out of the room and all of the SSS had a job to do except those that Jenny heard someone refer to as the 'fans'. They were standing around talking to each other excitedly about how the fight would go down and who could create the best comic book. For a moment she remained fascinated by their conversation, bewildered that this was the world she was a part of now. A superhero compound. A terrorist attack. A threat to the world.

And she couldn't do a goddamn thing about it.

She heard yelling from behind her and turned to see the Captain stalking away from the front platform with Dr. Mark in his wake.

"You cannot make her go!" he yelled. "She's only six!!"

"Yes, and she has one of the most defensive powers in our arsenal," said the Captain. "Imogen may be a child, but she can protect herself from whatever they throw at her."

"And if she can't? Captain, I know you run this place and I know that you took Olivia and I in on your good graces, but I have done nothing to deserve this and neither has Imogen!"

"Hey." Joshua interrupted, raising his arms and standing between them. "Mark, she's not a baby anymore. She's been through a hell of a lot worse. I understand your need to protect her, believe me, but there are more important things here."

Mark looked like he wanted to rebut, but he thought it best not to. For a moment, Jenny felt sorry for him and made a note to ask Joshua to keep an eye on Immi for Mark. He didn't deserve to watch his long-lost daughter die. Even the thought brought tears to Jenny's eyes. She couldn't stop it. She couldn't do anything.

Joshua saw the look on her face and hurried over to her. "What's wrong?"

"I'm useless."

Joshua spat out a laugh as if that were the most preposterous thing she'd ever said.

"Well it's true," she snapped.

His shoulders fell. "Jenny, you're not useless. You're just not useful at this point in time."

"They're the same fucking thing, Joshua!"

Several people close to them turned to stare at her. Joshua pinched the bridge of his nose. Jenny suddenly realized how completely childish she was being in light of current circumstances. Joshua had somewhere else to be right now.

"Look, I'm sorry. Just tell me what I can do to help."

Joshua stared at her for a second longer than he needed to, and then he placed a hand on the back of her head, pulled it toward him and kissed her passionately. As per usual, his kiss sent cold shivers of pleasure down her spine. 

"Be here when I return?" he whispered against her lips.

She smiled. "You got it."

"And rub my feet?"

"I-" Jenny shut her mouth when she realized what he'd said. "You don't like me doing that."

"I'll put up with it for your sake," he said with false sincerity. Jenny started laughing and he planted one last extra-long kiss on her lips. He must've been worried for her, because she felt the chill of his power seep into her skin from the tips of his fingers. She shivered, causing him to lurch away.

"I'm sorry," he moaned. "Sometimes I can't-"

"It's okay," she assured him with a smile. "The cold never bothered me anyway."

"I love you," he smiled. "I'll see you soon."

"You'd better. Good luck."

Joshua nodded and kissed her for the last time before running to the exit.