Chapter 78

It was a strange flight to DC. The jet they took was much older and smaller than the Red Cherry. Amelia could fly well, and the eight soldiers that sat in the cargo hold behind the cockpit remained silent. Hunter was allowed to ride shotgun with Amelia and rather enjoyed the view as they soared between white clouds into wide open spaces.

She didn't like the silence though. It freed her thoughts to imagine horrible scenarios of how the rest of the day would pan out. She imagined pain and war and death, but she prayed for victory.

"You know," said Amelia after about half an hour of no words. "I often find that the best way to get rid of nerves is to pump myself up with some great music."

Hunter turned to her. "What do you suggest?"

"I dunno. Starship. Some ACDC. Maybe a bit of Beyoncé."

Hunter snorted a laugh. "Those are some very specific tastes."

"They all have their meanings."

Hunter smiled and said nothing as Amelia flicked a switch above her head and music started playing. Hunter only recognized the song because of an album that played almost on repeat at the cabin while they cooked dinner.

"Sleep when I'm dead?"

Amelia nodded along with the beat, her hair falling in her eyes as she pretended to play an air guitar to Bon Jovi. The plane dipped and everyone jumped in fright as she grabbed the wheel, laughing at the shocked look on Hunter's face.

There was a crash from behind them and when Hunter spun around, she saw that the dip in the plane had caused a crate to fall off a stack against the back wall. Someone else fell with it. Eli stumbled to his feet and smoothed down his jacket as the entire plane stared at him. Somehow he'd snuck onto the jet and kept out of sight for half of the trip.

"Eli!" Hunter shouted as she unclipped her seatbelt and jogged to the back of the plane where he was trying to scoop up the heavy crate and pile it on the other stack. Some of the soldiers were snickering, not doing a thing to help him. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"I'm – saving – Jack –"

He was struggling so much that Hunter rolled her eyes and helped him replace the crate.

"You're the biggest idiot I've ever known."

"It's too late now. I'm coming. And I'm not going to sit on the plane either, I'm going to try and talk to Jack."

"Eli, that's stupid. You'll get–"

"Killed?" he snorted. "Don't talk to me like Joshua, you can't tell me what to do. If I want to try and save my best friend, my only friend, who's going to stop me?"

"Jack will, probably."

Eli's mouth dropped open.

"Come on. You know what Joshua's like when he loses it to the Iceman! Jack is a hundred times worse, so you being there isn't gonna do a thing to bring him back. I'm sorry, but you're just putting yourself at risk."

Eli shook his head slowly. "Everyone's right about you Hunter. You do think you're invincible."

She blinked in surprise. This certainly wasn't the Eli she once loved. Perhaps it was a good thing he didn't remember her. She stepped back from him, conscious of the eyes of every soldier in the aircraft – and probably Amelia's – boring into her back.

"I'm not gonna tie you to the jet. You can do what you want. But you're wrong. I know I'm not invincible. Which is why I'm asking you to stay here, because chances are I won't be able to save you when Jack tries to tear your head off."

"We'll see," said Eli. Then he sat down in one of the empty seats and strapped in. Some of the soldiers were following her with their eyes as she stalked back to the co-pilot's seat. Amelia shot a glance at her.

"That was kind of rude," she said. "He just wants to save his friend."

"I would've thought you'd thank me for trying to stop him committing suicide."

Amelia switched on auto-pilot and unclipped her seatbelt.

"You know, Hunter," she said with a small smile. "It's not your responsibility to save everyone. Regardless of whether or not we have powers, we're all allowed to be heroes."

Hunter left to go speak to Eli, and when she peered over her shoulder, she saw Amelia wrap her arms around his neck. Hunter's stomach clenched in knots. Her love for Will was strong, but the memory of Eli still burned in her heart. She couldn't bear to watch him die again, which was partly why she had to be so honest.

"You asked me once who I think you are," she overheard Amelia say to him. "Do you remember?"

"Yes," he replied.

"Well, power or no power, I think you're a hero. You should save your friend."

Hunter turned back to the sky and bit her lip. To encourage a loved one to walk into the line of fire because that's what he wants to do is braver than she wanted to admit. I couldn't do that, I couldn't willingly let anyone I care about face danger. What does that make me? A hero? Or just a selfish human being?

Yes, Eli had the freedom to make his own choices, but he didn't know the kind of pain she went through when he was killed. She was going to the White House to save a friend, not to watch one die.