Chapter 55

Joshua approached them what felt like only minutes later to deliver the verdict. Hunter and Will woke up stiff from leaning over Fearne's now still body and stood, waiting like parents in a hospital for news that their child was alive.

Joshua looked as if he hadn't slept for a week. His shirt was still covered in blood and he slumped, not his usual OCD self. Hunter tried to forget about their earlier conversation; there was still a lot to talk about without the current drama to deal with.

"What is it?" she asked.

He motioned for them to follow him outside into the corridor. "It's a toxin," he said and ran a hand through his hair. "A rare one. It doesn't give her long to live, and it's designed with only one cure."

Will's face went white. "M-me, I'm the cure."

Joshua frowned. "I'm sorry Will, I don't think your blood is-"

"Bullshit," he hissed. "My blood will heal everything!"

"Not in this case," said Joshua.

"What? Why?"

He let out a sigh. "The toxin was derived from Feucotetanus."

"How-"

"The only answer to curing Fearne's disease is with Ravenadium. But ... we don't have a sample."

Hunter frowned. "What happened to the one I found?"

"It's gone. Chevie stole it and used it to bring his father back to life."

Hunter and Will were so shocked that they didn't move, standing there like statues. And then, at almost the exact same time, they started to get extremely angry. Hunter's body pulsed a bright, orange glow and Will's muscles clenched as he breathed heavily. Joshua forced the air to cool so that they would both relax, but it did no good.

"He did what?" Hunter hissed.

"I don't care who he is," said Will through his teeth, "I'm going to kill him."

Joshua raised his hands. "We can be angry at him all we want, but that won't bring her back."

"She's not dead yet," Will growled.

"Can we go to the cabin to see if the sample is still there?"

"Already did," said Joshua. "It's gone."

Hunter looked suddenly dizzy and leant against the wall. She put her head in her hands. "Dr. Wolfe has Ravenadium?"

Joshua nodded.

"Holy shit, we're all dead."

"Wait," said Will, "why is this stuff the cure to Fearne's sickness?"

"Hunter, you know what happened when Feucotetanus fused with Ravenadium?" asked Joshua.

"It created my powers, and yours."

"Correct. I thought that by dosing her with straight Ravenadium, it would heal her by boosting her powers and killing the infection in her system. It would be a risk, but the only safe option we have. Giving Fearne Will's blood will fuse with this new toxin and Fearne's already unique formula for her abilities. It would take me years to research the effects, and we don't have the time."

"Then we do it anyway," said Will. "If you don't have a cure for her, then there's nothing else for us to do. We have to save her!"

Joshua tried again to explain the repercussions, but Will only yelled louder and nothing Joshua said or did could calm him until – 

"Stop!"

They turned to Hunter, whose palms were on fire. As soon as they paused, she pulled the flame back inside her skin and sighed.