Chapter 8

I have feelings for Edmund Pevensie.

I'm trying to process this realization while also trying to maintain a steady breathing pattern with Edmund's hand still on my back.

His hand is on my back. Why is his hand on my back?
What on earth is happening? Well, nothing on earth is happening...I'm in Narnia.

"Y/n? What are you going on about?"

"Hm? What?" I snap out of my train of thought at Edmund's voice.

"You're mumbling to yourself," Edmund says.

"I am?" I completely forgot that if I start on a rant in my head, I start talking to myself. "Wha-what did you hear?"

"Nothing, you're just mumbling," Edmund assures me. "Is this about me? Y/n, if you're uncomfortable I understand-"

"No! No, Ed it's not that at all I promise," I can tell he doesn't believe me. I stop and turn to him. "Look, Edmund."

He stops and looks at me seriously, hearing the solemnity in my tone.

"I promise you, I see you no differently. I don't know the whole story, but I know you care about your family. When you instantly defended Peter at the train station, you didn't need to know if he was in the wrong or not. You defended him. You believe that Lucy saw Aslan when no one else does. You would do anything for your family. Why does it matter what I think of you?"

Edmund doesn't respond. He just nods with an emotionless expression and walks towards his siblings and Caspian. A few Narnians joined us as well, and we all sat down around Peter and Caspian and begin discussing how to deal with the Telmarines and their growing army.

"Miraz's men and war machines are on their way," Peter begins. "That means those same men aren't protecting the castle. Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us."

"That's crazy," Caspian interjects. "No one has ever taken that castle."

"There's always a first time," Peter replies bluntly.

"We'll have the element of surprise," I suggest. Peter and Caspian look over at me puzzled by my interjection. "What?"

"Telmarines are not used to women having an opinion in battle," Reepicheep said shaking his head at the boys.

"Ah," I say sarcastically.

"If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely with our advantage being here," Susan adds. Once again, Caspian let's his eyes linger on her.

Hm. Caspian has no problem with Sue interjecting.

I chuckle quietly to myself.

Peter glares at his sister for taking Caspian's side.

"I for one feel safer here, underground," Trufflehunter says.

"Look, I appreciate what you've done here," Peter faces Prince Caspian. "But this isn't a fortress. It's a tomb."

"Yes, and if they're smart, the Telmarines will just wait and starve us out," Edmund points out.

"We really have no advantage here if this is our only form of sanctuary," I add. "I know I'm new to this, but it seems like waiting here only puts us at a disadvantage."

Peter nods at me. He turns to the Centaur.

"If I get troops in, can you handle the guards?"

"Or die trying," the centaur responded nobly.

"That's what I'm afraid of," Lucy said. "You're acting like there's only two options: dying here or dying there."

"I'm not sure you've been listening, Lu," Peter brushes her off.

"No, you're not listening. Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?"

Peter clenches his jaw. I glance over at Edmund at the mention of the White Witch. He glances over at me at the same time, and we divert our eyes quickly.

"We've waited for Aslan long enough," Peter decides.

"So that's that?" I ask.

"Seems so," Caspian says angrily.

"We attack at nightfall. Prepare for battle," Peter storms out of the How.