Chapter 21

I feel stirring next to me as I begin to wake up. I rub my eyes and open them to the sunlight shining into the room. I look over and see Edmund on his side with his back facing me. I see the light scratches on his back from the night before and a small grin forms on my face. I inch closer to him and curl up against his back, throwing my arm over him. I feel Edmund shift next to me and open my eyes again. He stretches a little and sits up slightly and looks over at me.

"Mmm...good morning," he rolls over and kisses my cheek while pulling me into his chest. "How did you sleep?"

"By the looks of how late it is, pretty well," I sigh, closing my eyes and leaning into him. "I can't believe I stayed in here all night."

I feel Edmund smile into my neck.

"You should stay in here all night every night," he says while kissing my neck.

"Mmmhmm," I sigh as Edmund continues kissing me. "You think anyone knows I'm in here?"

"Maybe," he said thoughtfully. "We could let them know that you're here."

Edmund gives me a cheeky look and kisses my lips. I nudge his nose with mine.

"We should probably get up," I whisper.

"Fine," Edmund kisses me again. "But you better be back in here tonight."

We both get out of bed and get dressed for the day.

———————

Later that day, we meet up with Peter, Susan and Lucy in the dining hall just in time for a late lunch. I fiddle with my hair nervously. I had chosen a dress with a higher neckline and styled my long hair down, hoping to cover some of the love bites Ed had left on my neck and chest. We walk into the dining hall and are greeted by the Pevensies and Prince Caspian.

"Well hello," Caspian snickers as we walk in. "Where have you two been all day, hm?"

"Just...out and about," Edmund says. Caspian looks back and forth between us, obviously amused by my discomfort and Edmund's lack of forthcomingness. I feel a faint blush rise to my cheeks before Caspian motions for all of us to sit.

I take my seat between Susan and Lucy. Peter and Edmund are seated across from us, and Caspian is seated at the head of the table. Our food is brought out to us and we all begin eating. The boys debate who of them is the most skilled swordsman is while Lucy and Susan pepper me with questions about where I'd been all morning.

"Out and about, you say?" Lucy says with an eyebrow raised.

"Yes, we were...um, out," I mumble back to her.

"What did you do while you were out?" Susan asks.

"We just walked around and such," I say avoiding eye contact with either Pevensie sister.

"Really?" Lucy asked innocently. I glance at her and smile a little. She's so innocent, and I know she doesn't quite get was Susan's getting at.

"Yes, really," I smile and scrunch my nose at her.

We finish our meal, all talking and laughing with each other. Peter, Edmund, and Caspian had decided that the only way to determine which of them is the best swordsman is to have a friendly competition, which is evidently happening after lunch.

"Before you boys get too excited, the old tales do say that King Edmund was the best swordsman in all of Narnia," Edmund smirked.

"You wish, Ed," Peter laughed.

"No really, ask the Telmarines," Edmund says back, taking a sip from his drink.

We all look over at Caspian.

"It actually is apart of the Narnian stories my professor told me," Caspian mumbled.

A smug look crosses Edmund's face and he winks at me across the table. I roll my eyes and grin back at him.

"That was hundreds of years ago, Ed," Caspian quipped. "I can take an old man."

"We'll see about that," Peter laughs. We finish our lunch and head out to the courtyard.