Chapter 26

The following day, we all wake up and get ready for the celebratory parade in our honor. We meet in the courtyard of the castle, each of us dressed in our very finest clothes. Caspian is wearing a beautiful golden crown upon his head, and his clothing consists of a delicately woven white shirt with dark brown trousers. Peter wears a similar outfit, minus the crown of course, and his clothes are light blue and brown. Susan's dress is a deep red with puffed golden sleeves, and her hair is curled and falls nicely around her face. Lucy looks absolutely adorable in her light pink gown, and of course Edmund looks very handsome in his dark colored shirt and black boots.

"I don't think anyone thought through that my clothes are the same color as my horse," Edmund said with a laugh as he mounted his steed.

"It's alright, Ed," I laugh at his comment. "I don't quite think the crowds will be focused on us anyways."

My long y/h/c hair is slightly wavy and half pulled up in a light blue ribbon. My dress is a pastel blue with white and gold sleeves, and my horse is white with black speckles all over her. Caspian looks back at us from the front of the line with a huge smile on his face and asks,

"Are we all ready to celebrate, my fellow Kings and Queens?"

We all cheer and clap our hands in response. With that, Caspian signals his horse to proceed through the town. Aslan leads next to Caspian. Susan and Peter follow behind him, then Edmund and Lucy. I bring up the rear with Trumpkin, and Caspian's professor along with the Narnians follow behind. We parade through the streets of Telmar waving to the grateful and loving people lining the streets. Children run around us throwing confetti, and my heart swells with love and appreciation for these people.

My face is hurting from smiling so much, but I can't stop. This is hands down the most amazing moment of my life.

"Isn't this wonderful?!" Lucy calls back to me while smiling and waving at everyone around her.

"It's magical!" I yell back at her.

We continue through the kingdom, and I take a few moments to glance at Edmund in front of me. A little girl runs alongside his horse, and he leans down as much as he was able and waved to her. She beams up at him and hands him a rose, and he takes it gratefully. She waved up at him one more time before running back to her parents behind us. My heart melts at this, and Edmund turns around and nods the rose in my direction.

"Looks like you've got some competition!" He says smiling.

"I think I can manage!" I smile back at him and tilt my head to the side.

He keeps eye contact with me for a second more before turning back around. We all finish our parade around Telmar, and we go back to the courtyard.

"Peter, Susan, stay," Aslan says.

I glance at Susan and she at me. She looks from Caspian to me and back again before following Peter out of the courtyard behind Aslan. I look at Caspian and see his eyes following her out. I decide to walk over to him and simply stand next to him in silence until Susan is out of sight.

"What has she told you?" He asks me.

"Only that she cares about you and wishes things could be different," I reply mundanely.

I see Caspian nod in my peripheral vision.

"I asked her to stay," he says quietly. "She turned down the offer."

I don't respond.

"Could you-could you change her mind?" Caspian turns to face me. I look at Caspian and see him begging me with his eyes. His brows are close together, and his brown eyes dart back and forth between mine.

"Caspian," I sigh, choosing my words carefully. "I could convince her that staying is what's right for her, and I could convince her to leave here as soon as possible. Do you really want her to decide to stay in Narnia because I told her she should?"

Caspian open his mouth to reply, but then shuts it again. He clenched his jaw and holds eye contact with me.

"No, no I don't suppose so," he says, finally looking away.

"I'm sorry," I tell him. "I really am."

"I know," he nods. "It's just how things are."

"Did she tell you last night?" I ask quietly.

He nods slowly, looking at the ground.

"She said nothing would ever change that England is her home," he said. "Not even a King."

I chuckle.

"Sounds like Susan, very practical," I say with a small smile.

"Yes," Caspian laughs lightly. "I should have known I couldn't take her from her reality. There's no persuading that one, is there?"

"Unless you're me," I say jokingly, nudging his arm.

"Yes, unless you're you," he laughs at me. "Y/n, why are you not fighting to stay as well? You've only been queen a couple weeks, and the Pevensies were here for a lifetime when they were crowned."

I smile sadly.

"Unfortunately, their story isn't mine," I tell him. "For whatever reason, my reign is better carried out with me in Finchley. I don't know why, but I know that it's true."

Caspian looks at me confused, and I shrug in response.

"I trust the Lion," I say. "What Aslan says is true of me I shall believe."

"I see," he says, and I nod.

"Y/n!" Lucy calls my name from a few yards away. I look over and see that she and Edmund have been sitting on a bench on the other side of the courtyard. "Y/n, will you come play on the beach with me?"

I smile over at her.

"Of course, Lu!"

I look back at Caspian.

"You make a good King, Caspian," I tell him genuinely. "The Narnians are lucky to have you."

"You as well, my queen," he bows slightly and I do the same in return.

"I think you're supposed to curtsey," he says with a smirk.

"I'm new to this alright?" I laugh and walk back towards Lucy. She and I spend the rest of the afternoon playing and running outdoors, tiring ourselves out. That evening, Susan and Peter have rejoined the group with Aslan.

The Pevensies, Aslan, Caspian, Trumpkin and I have a grand meal together in the dining hall. We laugh, we tell old stories, we shed tears of laughter and joy, and simply enjoy one another's company. I look around the table at the amazing people around me, and I know that today has been the best day of my entire life.