Chapter 15

"I'm sorry, what's this?"

I wake up to Peter's shocked and tired face staring at Edmund and me. I immediately sit up and straighten my hair and dress with my hands. I look up at Peter, who's still standing there with a look of shock and amusement.

"Oh, wipe that look off your face. Nothing happened," I sneer, clearly embarrassed by my predicament.

"Hm? What?" Ed grumbles as he wipes the sleep out of his eyes.

"Sure doesn't look that way," Peter says as he walks to his cot and sits down with a laugh.

"Say anything about this and I will deliver you myself to the Telmarines," I say to Peter, trying my hardest to keep from laughing at my empty threat.

"Yes, my lady," Peter says mockingly.

I exit the tent and hear Peter say, "Good going, Ed,"
to his little brother.

"Shut up, Peter," Edmund replies. I smile to myself as I walk back to mine and Susan's tent. Upon entering, Susan looks up at me as she gets dressed.

"Where were you last night?" She says knowingly.

"Don't look at me like that, I simply spoke to Edmund about Peter," I tell her as I change into a clean white blouse and dark colored pants. I lace up a pair of boots. I had decided fighting in a dress was too much work.

"Oh really?" Susan quips.

"Yes really," I smile. "I only slept over because Peter was gone and it was late. I promise we didn't-we only-everyone's clothes stayed on. Ok?"

We both laugh harder than we have since we got here.

"Did you talk to Caspian?" I ask as we calm down.

"I did this morning, yes," she says. "He's open to working with Peter, but he refuses to apologize for anything. He wants to fight for the Telmarine throne and give the Narnians back their land."

"That's-bold," I say surprised.

"It's brave," Susan smiles to herself. "He cares a lot about Narnia, Y/n. He just feels as though with Peter here, he hasn't gotten a chance to prove his loyalty to Narnia."

"I understand that," I say after thinking for a moment. "I do think Caspian is a good man. I believe he wants the best for Narnia; I just fear his anger with his uncle might cause issues."

Susan folds up her dress from the day before. She looks at me for a second before putting the dress under her cot.

"What?" I ask.

"Caspian asked me to stay in Narnia with him."

"What? Really?" I say surprised. "Can...can you do that?"

"I don't know," Susan replies. "I do care about him. I told him I'd have to think about it. Finchley is still my home. Our home."

"I'm sorry, Sue," I say. I can't imagine wanting someone who literally lives in a different world.

"I am too," she says.

Lucy walks into the tent.

"Hello, Lu," I say. "What's going on?"

"You two best get dressed and come to the How quick," she says. "The Telmarines are arriving."

We grab our weapons and rush to the How and meet Peter, Edmund, and Caspian above the entrance on a ledge. I walk out and stand next to Edmund. He puts his arm around my waist and presses his nose to my ear and whispers,

"You look...powerful."

I smirk up at him and bump his hip with mine. I glance over at Susan and Caspian and notice they're standing awkwardly apart. We all look across the grass plain in front of us and see the Telmarine army approaching. They march in sync with shields and spears followed by massive catapults. Peter and Caspian look at each other nervously. We retreat inside to discuss our next move.

"Cakes and kettledrums. That's your next big plan?" Trumpkin asks. "You want to send a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest ALONE?"

"It's our only chance," Peter says.

"And she won't be alone," Susan adds.

"Havent enough of us died already?" Trumpkin asks.

"Queen Lucy hasn't lost hope," Trufflehunter tells the dwarf. "And neither have I."

"We'll have to hold off the Telmarines until Susan and Lucy get back," Peter says. "Caspian, what is the best course of action?"

I breath a sigh of relief. I glance over at Edmund and mouth thank you. He nods and smiles at me.

"Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer," Caspian answer Peter, "but as king, he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one in particular that may buy us some time."

Peter nods at Caspian, and we set the plan in motion.