Chapter 20

In the week following our victory, we are given the days to recover and enjoy our time in Narnia. Despite Aslan himself having healed my stab wound, my body was still quite bruised and in need of rest. My shoulder was healing quickly, but it was still tender to the touch. My stab wound had healed, but a large scar remained in its place. Otherwise, only scratches and bruises remained on my arms, legs, and face.

I had my own suite in Caspian's castle, and the last two days I had spent almost entirely sleeping, waking only to eat and bathe. Twice I had gone on an evening walk with Edmund, but it never lasted long as we both tired quickly due to our injuries.

Today, I wanted to spend with the Pevensies and Aslan, so that's exactly what I did. Caspian showed us around the new Narnia and the entire castle, which took quite a while. We all went on a picnic together at the ruins of Cair Paravel, which was beautiful and bittersweet for the Pevensies. Caspian took Susan on a horseback ride while the rest of us relaxed on the beach and swam in the ocean.

That night, we arrive back at the castle, and I am feeling tired but refreshed. Today was the best day of my life, and I genuinely don't think I'll ever be happier than I am right now. I go to meet Edmund to go on our nighttime walk through the garden.

"Hello, Queen Y/n," Edmund smiles and stands from the bench he waited for me on. He lightly touches my face and kisses my lips. I grin up at him and take his hand.

We walk through the garden and just talk. Every time he laughs he squints his eyes, and every time he does so I get butterflies in my stomach.

I look at him and I can feel the love I have for him written all over my face. Edmund must notice it because he knowingly says,

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Why do you think?" I whisper, tilting my head to the side.

"I don't want to say why I think in case I'm wrong," he says stepping closer to me.

"You're not wrong, Ed," I whisper as he tilts my chin up towards him so that our lips are barely an inch apart.

"Promise?" He whispers, searching my face for a sign of some sort.

"Promise," I say, bringing my hands to his face and touching our foreheads together.

"Then I love you too," Edmund breathes out and kisses me. His hands find my waist and pull me into him and he wraps his arms all the way around me. I fall into his chest and into our kiss. I move one of my hands to the back of his head and runs my fingers through his hair. His arms tighten around me at this and he kisses me harder.

He breaks our kiss and looks into my eyes so intensely that it takes my breath away. Edmund takes my two hands in his, continuing to hold my hands.

"Stay with me tonight," he says.

"...what?" I say surprised at his statement.

"Stay in my room with me tonight," Edmund repeats. "I don't mean like - like that; I just want to fall asleep with you."

I squeeze his hands and lean into his chest, my forehead pressed against his cheek.

"I'd love to, my king," I say with a sigh.

We walked hand in hand back into the castle. We quietly laugh and bump into each other as Edmund sneaks me down the hall to his room. He opens the door to his room. I walk in and sit somewhat awkwardly on the edge of his bed. I run my hand over the dark blue velvet comforter on his bed. The curtains by the windows are pulled back, allowing the crisp white moonlight to cascade into the chilly room.