Chapter 22

That afternoon, we all gather in the courtyard of the Telmarine Castle. Some of the castle staff had gathered to watch the boys spar, and Sue, Lucy and I had found our seats off to the side of where the boys were getting ready.

"Is Edmund actually that skilled with a sword?" I ask Susan. "Not that I don't think he's good, but I hadn't really paid attention in comparison to others."

"Don't tell him I said so," Susan said, "But Edmund is certainly the most capable swordsman Narnia has ever had. Back when we lived here before, he was on the front lines of every battle of every war."

I look over at Edmund. It was only then that I realized how much someone so young had been though. We were only teenagers, the same age even, and yet, Edmund had lived for decades. He had led wars and won. He had ruled a kingdom. The impact Narnia had had on the Pevensies truly sank in on me in that moment. They were all wise beyond their years and had experienced so many things.

"Y/n?" Susan says, snapping out of my thoughts.

"Hm? Yes?" I say.

"You didn't answer my question," she says with a giggle.

"Sorry, what did you ask?"

"What did you and Edmund really do this morning?" Susan says with a smile.

"Sue, nothing," I insist, hoping she doesn't see me blushing.

"If you did nothing, why is Edmund looking at you like that?" She nods over at Edmund.

I look over at him and see the intense gaze Edmund is casting my way. His head is tilted lightly to the side and his eyes look intently at me. A slight smirk tugs at the left side of his mouth as he fiddles with his belt and his sword. Edmund's look gave me butterflies.

"Does the look he's giving you have anything to do with that?" Susan pokes a spot on my neck, and I realize I had put my hair up in the heat of the outdoors.

I quickly let my hair down and blush profusely as Susan laughs at my embarrassed state. She lightly pushes my shoulder.

"So...you going to tell me or do I have to ask him?" She teases.

"You already seem to have figured it out," I say with a raised eyebrow, making eye contact across the way with Edmund. He smirks and turns his back to me to talk to Caspian. "Don't you act like you haven't been sneaking off with Caspian at every opportunity."

"We've only been talking really," Susan says, her teasing tone leaving her voice. "He wants me to stay here, but I don't know if I want that. I don't even know if that's possible."

We sat in silence for a few minutes. The boys begin their match, and we cheer and laugh along with them. I notice Susan looking sadly at Caspian more often than not. I scoot closer to her and sympathetically take her hand. Sue gives me a grateful but sad half smile and squeezes my hand.

"He's a good one, Sue. If you want to stay here, we'll all understand," I look at her. "And who's to say we won't come back again?"

"Aslan's to say," Susan whispers. I sigh. We look back out at Peter and Caspian as they block each other's swings. Peter ducks under Caspian's sword and jumps back. He lands and loses his balance slightly. Caspian takes advantage and lightly pushes his sword onto Peter's chest, knocking him back and standing over him smiling with his sword drawn. Peter shakes his head with a smile and puts his hands up in surrender. Caspian reaches down to help Peter up, and we all clap. Susan and I walk over to the boys while Lucy stays and talks to Trumpkin behind us.

Susan hugs Caspian's neck and kisses his cheek, which I can tell by the look on his face catches him off guard.

"Hm, guess they really have only been talking," I mumble under my breath with a chuckle.

"What's that?" Peter says behind me with a smirk.

"You heard nothing," I point at him smiling.

"They're up to something, aren't they?" Peter asks me quietly. "I've never seen her this serious about a boy."

"I haven't either," I admit. "I'll let her talk to you about it, but she's concerned with leaving him."

"Ah, well that's understandable," Peter says as we watch them talk rather closely as Caspian rests for his spar with Edmund. "Not all of us can be as lucky as you and Ed."

I look up at Peter and awkwardly smile at the mention of his brother.

"I'm glad you're here Y/n," Peter says. "You're a great friend to Susan, Lucy loves you, I think you're good for Edmund, and I think you're a good leader here. You've really come into your own since we've gotten here. I'm...I'm proud of you."

I feel myself getting emotional over Peter's words. I've looked up to Peter for a long while, and I'd felt like I'd been having to prove myself and my capabilities to him  since I'd arrived.

"Thank you, Peter," I say seriously. "That means a lot, especially coming from you. You're a good King, Peter. I'm thankful for your example here."

Peter nudges my arm and grins at me.

"Thanks for taking care of my little brother," he says. "I care for him a lot, but it's hard for me to let him know. I'm glad he's got you looking after him."

"I'm glad I've got him, too," I say smiling at Edmund as he goofs around with his sisters. "He looks up to you, Peter, and he cares about you too. All he wants is you to see him as an equal and not the little boy who made a mistake before."

Peter ponders this for a second.

"You really are Y/n the Wise, aren't you?" He says with a chuckle.

"I try my best," I shrug with a laugh.

And with that, Edmund and Caspian begin their match.