Chapter 17

We arrive back at our site, and Edmund and I walk arm in arm to Peter in his tent.

"He accepted your proposal," Edmund announced upon our entrance.

"Well if it isn't Mr. and Mrs. Narnia," Peter winks at me as we walk in.

"Shut up," I roll my eyes with a laugh and loosen my arm from Edmund's. "Have Susan and Lucy left yet?"

"Not yet," Peter tells me as he polished his armor. "If you hurry you can catch them."

I quickly said goodbye to the Pevensie brothers and rushed to the How. I catch Susan and Lucy just in time to see Caspian securing them in the saddle.

"Sue! Lucy!" I shout out of breath.

"Y/n! You're back!" Lucy grins her sweet gap-toothed grin at me.

"What did Miraz say?" Caspian asks seriously.

"He accepted the proposal," I tell him. Caspian nods and turns one corner of his mouth upward. I look up at the girls on the horse in front of me and grab Susan's hand.

"Be safe," I say to them earnestly. "Promise me?"

"Promise," they say in unison. I give them a small smile as I squeeze Susan's hand and let go of it.

Caspian pulls Susan's horn from his belt.

"Maybe it's time you had this back," he looks up at Susan.

"Why don't you hold on to it," she looks him up and down. "You might need to call me again."

I roll my eyes at her corny line and I see Lucy's nose scrunch in confusion, but Caspian seems to like it as he holds her gaze.

Susan and Lucy take off on the horse, leaving Caspian and I behind. He turns the horn over in his hands and turns towards me. Caspian looks up at me looking almost startled at my presence, as if he had forgotten I was there in the last ten seconds.

"You gonna call her again?" I cross my arms with an amused smile on my face.

Caspian shakes his head and smiles.

"Don't act like you didn't stay the night with King Edmund last night," Caspian teases.

"Nothing happened! How do you even know about that?" I ask.

"People talk, Lady Y/n," Caspian says. "Besides, Peter gave me a talk about Susan and somehow Edmund's pursuit of you got involved."

"Ah," I say furrowing my brow in confusion.

Caspian shrugs at my perplexed face.

"Shall we go prepare Peter?" Caspian holds out his hand.

"Indeed," I take his hand and we make our way out of the How.

———————

Peter, Edmund and I are standing in the entrance to the How. Peter checks his armor one last time before picking up his shield and secured his helmet on his head. I hear the the roar of the crowd anticipating the duel echo throughout the How. With a nod from Peter, the three of us slowly walk from the How. The cheers increase in volume as Peter appears. We all look at Miraz seated on a small throne surrounded by his three of his advisors. Peter turns to Edmund and takes his sword from him. At this, the Narnians yells grow even louder.

Miraz dawns his face shield and aggressively yanks his sword from the sheath his advisor is holding. He makes his way onto the stone arena. Silence overcomes the audience as Peter approaches him.

"There is still time to surrender," Miraz mocks.

"Feel free," Peter retorts as he paces back and forth.

"How many more must die for the throne?" Miraz shakes his head at Peter's bravery.

"Just. One." Peter pulls down his face shield and leaps over Miraz with a swing of his sword.

The two clang their swords left, right, over their heads and under their feet. Peter used his shield as both protection and a weapon, hitting Miraz in the shoulder forcefully with the edge of it. Miraz has the same idea and uses his shield to whack Peter hard in the head. His helmet flies off revealing Peter's stunned face. Edmund takes a deep breath at his brother's sudden vulnerability.

Peter ducks, successfully slicing the Telmarine's thigh. Miraz cries in pain as he stumbles, trying to keep from falling. Peter runs at Miraz and dodges his sword by rolling under the blade. As he rises from his stunt, Miraz rams into him and knocks him back down.

"Get up quickly, Pete," I whisper to myself. "Get on your feet."

Peter's arm is braced in the straps of his shield and lies across the ground. Miraz slowly approaches him, stepping on the shield. Peter cries out in pain as his arm flexes in the opposite direction of the way any arm should bend. I clench my jaw at the sight of the injury. Edmund looks on as his brother rolls across the ground, dodging Miraz's following blows.

In the distance, I see Caspian come riding in on a horse with Susan behind him, but no Lucy. Peter notices at well, and Miraz takes advantage of Peter's pause.

"Does his highness need a respite?" He spits.

"Five minutes?" Peter breaths heavily.

"Three." Miraz rips his helmet off and storms back to his throne and Peter limps over to us, his arm dangling oddly low at his side.

Ed runs to support his brother.

"Lucy?" Peter says to Susan and Caspian.

"She made it through," Susan said firmly, "with a little bit of help." She nods her head up at Caspian.

Peter nods and encourages Susan to take her position as lead archer.

"I don't expect the Telmarines will keep their word," he mutters.

"Be careful," Susan says with a quick hug to her brother. He winced in pain. "Sorry."

Peter gives her a look of sympathy before grimacing as he turns back to sit down.

"Keep smiling," Edmund says, looking back at the Narnians. Peter does just that and raises his sword to them. Cheering erupted once again. This is how you win a war.

Peter sits and whines in pain again. Edmund approaches him, tending to his shoulder while I wipe the cuts on his face clean.

"What do you think happens back home if you die here?" He whispers. Ed stops in his tracks and looks at his brother, clearly set off by his question.

"You know, you've always been there," Peter looks at his younger brother, "and I never really-aauugh!"

A sickening crunch comes from Peter's shoulder as Edmund shoves it into its socket.

"Save it for later," Edmund says before patting his brother on the back and returning to my side. Peter gasps in pain.

I lean down to Peter's ear and whisper, "You're not going to die here. Narnia isn't done with you yet, and neither is home. It's not your time."

Peter holds eye contact with me and nods. I'd come to admire Peter over the last couple weeks. His arrogance can be off putting, but he really loves Narnia and his siblings more than I'd ever imagined. I take care of the last scrape on his face and pat him lightly on his good shoulder. With that, Peter rises from his seat prepared to fight for the life of Narnia.