Chapter 16

I strap my belt and sword around my hips and fasten the clasps on my armored corset over my blouse. I make my way over to Edmund's tent. He and I are about to walk to the Telmarine's camp, and I was nervous. I walk into his tent and see him strapping his armor across his chest.

"You think this will work?" I ask Edmund.

"Of course it will," he says confidently. "Miraz has too big of an ego to refuse. It will go exactly as planned."

I breath a sigh of relief at his confidence. He turns to face me and looks me up and down with a smirk while fastening his armor around his wrists. Seeing his eyes fall over my body makes my skin tingle. He walks slowly toward me still eyeing my body.

"Edmund, we have to go," I say.

"We do, but first..."

He grabs my waist.

"Let me..."

And kisses my forehead.

"Just..."

And then my nose.

"Enjoy you."

He tilts my chin up and pulls my lips to his. I smile into the kiss and lean into his chest. Edmund slowly pulls away.

"Let's go, my love," he puts his hand on my back and we walk out and make our way to Miraz.

Edmund, two Narnian soldiers, and I arrive at the Telmarine camp about forty minutes later. We walk into a tent where Miraz and his council sit. Edmund pulls the scroll out and steps toward Miraz. He doesn't make eye contact or introduce himself. He simply reads the proposal.

"I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by Election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel and emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle."

Edmund's voice rings deeply and strongly as he reads.

"The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender."

He lowers the scroll and looks at Miraz. I stand a few steps behind him resting my right hand on my sword and my other hand rests with my thumb tucked into my belt. My face is emotionless and stoic as I feel the gross stares of some of the councilmen.

"Tell me, Prince Edmund-"

"King."

"Pardon me?" Miraz says, raising an eyebrow.

"It's King Edmund actually," Edmund finishes rolling the scroll and looks around at the council. "Just King though. Peter's the high king."

I fight the urge to laugh at Edmund's cockiness. Miraz returns Edmund's eye contact, taken aback by his boldness.

"I know," Edmund condescends. "It's confusing."

I can't help but laugh. His sass is just too amusing. Miraz shoots me a viscous glare at my laughter.

"Why would we risk such a proposal," Miraz gets out, "when our armies could wipe you out by nightfall?"

"Haven't you already underestimated our numbers?" Edmund replies with a shrug. "I mean, only a week ago Narnians were extinct."

"And so you shall be again," Miraz hisses.

"Then you should have little to fear," Edmund proposes.

Miraz laughs so loudly that it wreaks of insecurity and false pride.

"This is not a question of bravery."

"So you're bravely refusing to fight a swordsman half your age then," Edmund tilts his head slightly and an amused smile tugs at the corners of his lips.

"I didn't say I refused," Miraz leans forward in his seat.

"Sire," one man begins, "our military advantage alone provides the perfect excuse to avoid what otherwise might be-"

"I'm not avoiding anything!" Miraz rises from his seat and draws his sword.

I feel my eyes narrow and a slight smile form on my face. Edmund was right. Miraz was too proud to refuse.

"His majesty would never refuse," the Telmarine by the entrance says. "He relishes the chance to show the people the courage of their new king."

Edmund looks back at Miraz.

"You." Miraz points his sword at Edmund. I clench my jaw. "You should hope your brother's sword is sharper than his pen."

Edmund's eyes narrow, the corners of his lips turn ever so slightly up, his eyebrows set in determination, and his chin lifts confidently. He holds Miraz's gaze for a few extra seconds before turning, holding his gaze over his shoulder until his back totally faces Miraz. He holds out his arm to me and I take it. We walk away slowly and confidently feeling the eyes of the Telmarines on our backs.

"Easy," Edmund whispers to me as we walk away.

"You got quite bold there, your majesty," I tell him with a mischievous smile.

"I had to. He was practically begging me to put him in his place," Edmund cocked an eyebrow at his own cleverness.

"I found it quite entertaining," I tell him.

"As did I," he replies. "Let's take the news to Miraz's worthy opponent, shall we?"