Chapter 12

The trek back to the How seemed longer than before. It took the remainder of the night, and by the time we returned it was mid-morning. Neither Edmund nor I spoke on the way back outside of him occasionally asking if I was alright. I was shaken up by the whole experience, and I think Ed sensed my feelings.

We land, and the remaining Narnians walk back to the How. Trumpkin had been severely injured along with many of our soldiers, and we were all silently hoping Lucy's healing cordial would do the trick. As we approach, Lucy and a few Narnians emerge from the How. My heart breaks as their faces fall seeing how few of us have returned. I feel myself beginning to well up with tears when someone walks up next to me and takes my hand. Edmund pulls me to his side with one hand around my waist while holding my hand in his free one. If the situation were different, I'd expect a look from Susan or even nervous butterflies myself, but all I feel is grief at our losses and grateful for Edmund's shoulder to cry on-literally.

"What happened?" Lucy asks Peter.

"Ask him," Peter spits out with the most hateful look towards Caspian.

"Me?" Caspian stops.

"Peter, don't-" Susan starts but is quickly interrupted.

"You could have called it off. There was still time," Caspian tells Peter.

Peter turns around and moves his hand to the sword in his belt.

"There wasn't, thanks to you. If you had kept to the plan, those soldiers might be alive right now," Peter whispers dangerously close to Caspian.

"If we'd stayed here, they DEFINITELY would be!"

"You called us, remember?"

"My first mistake," Caspian says quietly.

"Your first mistake was thinking you could lead these people," Peter laughs sarcastically.

"HEY. I am NOT the one who abandoned Narnia," Caspian shoots back.

Edmund lets go of me and steps toward his brother and Caspian.

"You invaded Narnia. You have no more right to lead it than Miraz does!" Peter hisses at the Prince. "You, him, your father...Narnia's better off without the lot of you!"

Oh...low blow Peter.

Caspian yells and whips his sword out of its sheath and points it to Peter's face. Peter draws his sword equally, prepared to fight.

"STOP IT!" Edmund yells. The boys looks back, and Lucy notices her dear friend Trumpkin unconscious in the arms of the Centaur. She runs toward him with her cordial in hand. Edmund kneels by his little sister as she pours a few drops of cordial into his mouth. Trumpkin wakes up coughing. Caspian angrily storms inside the How as Trumpkin comes to.

"What are you standing around for?" The dwarf says. "Telmarines will be here soon."

He sits up and looks at Lucy. "Thank you, dear little friend," he says with a small smile.

—————

Later that day, I climbed up the outside of the How sitting on a small ledge higher up on it. I needed time to process everything. I had been sitting there for about an hour thinking about the battle, Edmund, home, Edmund, Aslan, Edmund...

Edmund. Why has he been so caring towards me? It's probably just the circumstances. I have been a mess all day. I mean, who wouldn't be? My emotions were already running high from suddenly being taken from home and falling for my best friend's brother. On top of that, I've seen people die and-