And Then There Were Three

Author here! I want to wish all of you a late happy new year and to those who celebrate Christmas, I hope you all had a wonderful one!

There is already another chapter half done and should be released shortly. I was going to release them both at the same time, but I just wanted to get this one out to you guys as it's been quite some time!

Happy reading. 💗

___

"Am I interrupting something?" Alyssa asked, folding her arms over her chest.

"No," Bucky said quickly, clearing his throat.

Yes. My heart lurched forward, slamming against my ribcage. I moved my hand upward, rubbing the back of my neck nervously.

"Good." She deadpanned, her eyes snapping towards mine, "I need to talk to you, (y/n). Privately."

Bucky took that as his queue and quietly slipped past Alyssa and back into the house, closing the door gently behind him.

"So," I cleared my throat, swiping my thumb over my bottom lip. The ghostly touch of Bucky's lips remained, leaving a gentle tingle behind. It left me wanting more.

"Who won? You or Sam?" I finished, trying to focus on my best friend's obvious irritation.

Alyssa ran a hand through her dark locks, "I did." She didn't need to say any more for me to know what she meant.

Instead, I exhaled sharply. Sadness washed over me and I took a seat on the top step of the patio. "I don't agree with what you're doing," I admitted, glancing over at her. Alyssa sat down beside me and clasped her hands in between her thighs.

"I know you don't, but this is what I feel is best for me, ya know?"

"Yeah, I know." I sighed, blowing my cheeks outward. "You're leaving me stranded between testosterone." I joked, trying to add some comedy to the situation.

Albeit, it didn't change the heavy sadness I felt.

Alyssa let out a hearty laugh and moved her arm around my shoulder, pulling me close to her. "It must be awful." Her hand squeezed my shoulder comfortingly and it offered me a tiny ounce of solace.

"I know you're worried about me, I can see it in your eyes." She turned serious and removed her arm from my shoulder, "But I'm going to be okay and you're going to be okay. I promise."

I gulped heavily, playing with my fingers as a multitude of questions ran rampant within my mind. They were like toddlers fighting over the last cookie from the jar. Would Alyssa still stay with us if the break-in didn't happen? Perhaps the situation spooked her and drove her to remain here and put distance between the lot of us.

I couldn't blame her. She just didn't want to get hurt.

"You're right. I am worried but if you know that you're going to be okay then I trust you." I broke my silence, cupping Alyssa's hand in mine and gave it a gentle squeeze which she returned.

"Sam fought hard for you to stay." I acknowledged, changing topics. A little girl talk never got old, and I needed it. "Maybe a little too hard. Sure there isn't something going on there?" I added.

Alyssa pulled her hand from mine and looked at me as if I'd lost my mind. "I think he was just worried about me, is all. There's nothing going on," A few moments of silence. "Wait, do you think there is?"

I smirked at how curious she became. "Do you want there to be?" I questioned.

"No." She huffed, "I don't know. At the moment, I think this situation is more important than discussing the possibility of Sam and I. Besides, you're all leaving the country tomorrow. We wouldn't have any time and he certainly does not like me." Alyssa spoke loud and fast, her cheeks flushing a slight tinge of pink.