Five

I thanked the heavens because I knew a shortcut to Bette's house and I know I can't go home yet. Not like this. So, I jumped into Bette's backyard and knocked loudly. "who is it?" it was Bette. "Bette! Open the door, hurry! It's me Jade!" I looked back to see if they are still following me but thankfully I did not see anyone. "Jade?!" she said, her mouth hanging open. "close your mouth and let me in!" I hissed.

Bette made me clean myself and changed into her clothes before she asked me what happened. By the time I finished cleaning, it's past 6 and I know my parents were already worried about me. I checked my phone and saw several messages and missed calls. I shushed Bette and called my mom. I told her that I'm at Bette's and asked If I can stay overnight since there's no school the next day. Luckily, she said yes but told me to come home before 9 the next day.

"Jade.." Bette started. She sat at the bed opposite me and lifted my chin so that she can see me. "are you uh, hungry?" I smiled. This is what I love about my best friend. In times like this, she can always make me smile. She smiled when she saw me smile and then, "would you like something to eat? A sandwich, or--?" I just looked at her and then my eyes began to water. I sniffed and cried and then she hugged me so I cried some more.

In between sobs, I told her what happened. "Those bastards!" she stood up and paced back and forth with her hands to her chest. She does that when she's mad and clearly she was REALLY mad. "I wish I could punch all of them. Sheesh!

What were they trying to prove?!" She stopped and looked at me. "where is the video? Let me see it." I pointed at my bag in the chair. She snatched it and watched what happened. I couldn't bear to watch so I just let her. The video started when we entered the cemetery gate. I could hear Arnold's friends whispering how this video will be great and how cool Arnold was for thinking of this 'awesome' set up. I clenched my teeth. She finished watching cringing at the part where I hit Arnold then pressed the stop button after.

I realized I was so brave at that time, considering that I was surrounded with four guys. Oh well, pure luck, i guess. After watching, she slowly put down the camcorder, faced me and then looked at me, she had this funny look, side of her lips twitching and then suddenly she burst out laughing.

Bette looked like she's been possessed or something. She sat down holding her tummy as she galefully succumbed to endless laughter.

Disappointed, I gave her a stony look. She looked at me and then laughed some more. I couldn't take it anymore so I stood up. Without saying a word, I picked up my bag and went for the door.

"Jade!" still laughing, she reached out for my bag and pulled me. "I'm sorry. Im so sorry" I looked at her and saw that she's trying to control her laughter. "Are you done laughing now?" I asked crossly.

"Hey, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to laugh." She cleared her throat and tugged at my bag. "Come on, I'm sorry." Furious, I tossed my bag in the chair and sat down grunting.

While she was wiping her eyes.

"O-kay.. So, let me ask you this." She sat down beside me. "Why do you think I laughed?" "Wha- you really have to ask?" I replied coldly. "Is it because you find me being fooled immensely entertaining?" I added. The tone of my voice depicts rage. Of all people! My best friend-whom I've known since third grade. Darn it! I felt betrayed. I am hurt and angry and I'm afraid that something will come out of my mouth that I might regret. Geez! Of all people!

I was still fuming and avoided her gaze when I heard her say, "I admire you."

Silence.

I looked at her. "What you have done in response to that immature and so out of the line bullying was so courageous and that jerk deserves that hit.

So.. I admire you." I started to say something but she continued. "The reason I laughed? Not because of what they did. I laughed because those good-for-nothing bullies didn't expect that you will fight back. Again, admirable." She winked at me.

"I-" she shushed me. "Jade, you're my best friend. Remember that I will always be on your side. Ok?" I nodded and said sorry. And i know since then, I'll have her for forever..