Eighteen

Althea's POV

Riiing..

I quickly opened my eyes and moved hastily away from Jade. Dammit! I bit my lip and clutched my heart which was beating so hard, I'm experiencing shortness of breath. I immediately reached out for my bag to get my phone. Praying that it's Bette calling me back. Then I saw Riza's name. My heart beats doubled. Oh my God! Shit, I feel like I'm doing something I shouldn't. Taking a deep breath, I answered..

"He –ehem Hello?" I croaked.

"Hon, I'm so sorry I'm still here and apparently, we have a big event coming up real soon and we were chosen to be part of it. I might not make it there tonight. So, I'll just stay at my place since it's nearer. Ok?"

"Uh huh.. Okay.. Ahmm" biting my lips to keep them from trembling.

"By the way, how's the girl? Is she okay?"

"Uhh ye-yeah, she's fine. Ahm, we just got here a few minutes ago. I had to ask for the guard's help below." I answered while nodding my head. I looked at Jade sleeping soundly. I moved outside the room. "Hon, listen, we need to talk... I uhm need to tell you something important." I heard someone calling Riza on the other end.

"What is it, hon? I'm sorry but – I'm coming!" She yelled at whoever is calling her. "Sorry. We'll talk tomorrow, K? I really gotta go.. I love you. Bye."

I stared at my phone and dialed Bette's number. Crap, it's still out of the coverage. I threw my phone at the sofa out of my frustration. I can't go in there. God, no. It's been a very long time but her effect on me, is not good. And I should be mad at her! Goodness! This is so unbelievable!

I stood up and paced around the living area. I went to the kitchen and drank some cold water while thinking of what to do with Jade.

I put down the glass and marched angrily to my room. I went to the bathroom and prepared a wet towel. I dabbed the towel on her forehead and cheeks. She moaned and opened her eyes, "Love?" her voice hoarse. I was holding the towel in mid-air. She smiled and tried to hug me. Naturally, I tried to move away. She attempted to sit up but the alcohol got the better of her. She slumped down and slept again. I sighed and murmured, "Well.. Happy birthday.."

I watched her sleep.. And then my mind drifted to the past. Bitter sweet memories of the past.

******************************

It was almost time for the summer camp to end, everyone's in high spirit and the new friendship that was formed between the counselors and the kids, was beyond amazing.

It was on the night three days before the kids will leave the camp. Althea, who seemed smitten with Jade, was looking at her at the opposite side of the campfire.

Jade who was talking to another senior counselor, was suddenly aware of the eyes intensely looking at her. She looked around. Black meets black. It's as if their world has stopped and for a moment, it's just them and the fire merrily crackling between them.

Then Jade lowered her gaze when she heard Janice started to talk. Althea squirmed and thought to herself, what the heck had just happen?

That night, Jade was preparing to sleep when Althea went into their room, a room they shared with another counselor who was still out.

Jade sensed that Althea was looking at her. Then she heard, "Are you going to sleep, already?"

Jade turned around, "Uhm, in a bit. Why? You're not going to sleep, yet?

Jade sat down and looked at Althea standing beside her bed. "Althea..?"

"Uhh, I need to talk to you.. And you're the closest friend I have here. So, can we talk?" Althea asked nervously.