Fifteen

Althea's POV

It's been more than a year since I came back here. To be honest, I have missed this country. Leaving home to look for a new home and to start again, was one of the biggest adjustments I had to do. Do I regret leaving? Yes, of course. This is my home and nowhere else.

My family has always been bugging me to come back home, but for the first few years since I left, I just couldn't. I can't bear the thought or returning and enduring all the pain I went through. I don't want to go through hell once again. I was adamant and stayed out of the country for like seven years.

But now, I'm back and I plan to stay here permanently.

With the help of my friends, we were able to establish a restaurant called, The Runner's Kitchen. It was for the love of running together during weekends that we named it like that. And thankfully, since the opening six months ago, everything's going smoothly.

As I watched the busy life below me, and ponder on how I've come into what I am now, I felt a hand slowly draping me into a hug. I smiled and closed my eyes.

"Penny for your thoughts?" asked Riza, my girlfriend of eight months. She's a chef I met during the time that the planning for the resto was still on going. She was one of my friend's good friend and we asked for her advice regarding the food that the resto will serve. It never occurred to me that I will fall for her. But, she was persistent so I gave in. ha ha!

I leaned on her, "Hey, chef."

She kissed me softly on the neck which gave me goose bumps. I turned around and put my arms on her head, pulled and kissed her.

"Hmm, are you ready to go home, yet?" Riza asked in between kisses.

"You bet I am, Chef." I whispered.

****************************

After an energy draining love making, I lie awake for a while. I looked at Riza lying down on her stomach. I touched her face as softly as I could so as not to wake her up.

Then I stared at the ceiling. I was rattled by a phone call I received four days ago at the office...

"Althea Guevarra, hello?"

Silence.

"Hello? Hello, who's this?"

"Althea, hi! Uhm.."

"Yes? Who's this, please?

"Uhm this is Bette."

"Bette?" ahm, are you a client of ours?"

"No. ahm this is Bette Hansens."

I was speechless. I couldn't say anything.

"Althea...?"

"Bette?? Oh my god.. H- how..? I stammered.

"Bianca saw you at the Runner's Kitchen. She thought she was mistaken but when she asked, she was told by one of your staffs that your name is Althea Guevarra. I was shocked when my sister told me because I didn't know that you're back and I thought you're never coming back."

Silence.

"Althea, I- I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't call but we were friends. I hope we still are... Althea...?"

"Bette, I, I don't know what to say. I-.."

"Listen, Althea. I'm coming back in a few days.. Hope to see you?"

"Bette, I- I'm sorry I can't. I'm, I'm sorry.." I hung up.

I stood up and went to the bathroom. I splashed my face with cold water and looked at the mirror.