Chapter 27

Tris pov

"Do you think if we run, we can get away?" I ask Tobias before I fully pull away from the kiss.

"My exact thought" He whispers into my hair.

"Three"  I begin

"Two " He continues

"One"

"Go!" He yells.

And we break apart and run at full speed towards the train tracks.

We run at least a fifty yards before, we slow our pace from a full out sprint to a jog.

I laugh triumphantly.

"Ha! We got away!" I yell to Four, adrenaline flowing fiercely through every part of my body.

Four laughs amused by my enthusiasm.

It's minute before I realize that he stopped walking, instead hes staring at me with joyful eyes.

"What is it?" I ask stopping next to him.

"Nothing" He says beginning to walk forward.

"Sure, it was nothing. Seriously , what were you thinking?" I persist.

"Just how lucky I am, for having you" He smiles back at, lovingly, happily, joyfully.

"You think your lucky?" I arch one eyebrow , in question. " I'm the lucky one" I say sadly.

"What do you mean your lucky?"

We're walking toward the train tracks, almost there.

"I have you of course!" I say throwing my hands up.

"Tris," He stops walking and pulls on my wrist to stop me too. "I don't deserve you, but your with me anyway. I've done things I'm not proud of but, " He sighs softly as if hes a parent talking to their child. " Tris your the best thing thats ever happend to me. Through all my miserable life, you make me happy, you make me enjoy life life. 

"Before you came to Dauntless I was living but I wasn't living, I was moving mechanically, out of memory, going from one place to another not living, not really .

" Then you came and shook up my whole world. Reminded me I had a life to live, to really live. Then you, you lived it with me, you're living it with me right now! I know I seemed tough and strong, like there wasn't a problem in the world, but I was," He looks up to the sky, searching for the right words " I was broken. You put me back together slowly, piece by piece. But there was something missing there always was, then you," He traces the side of my face with the back of his thumb smiling." You were the missing piece you were what I needed, I needed to love you, and I needed you to love me back, and you did, you do.

" Who seems like the lucky one?"

He reaches up to my face again and wipes something cold and wet from my face- a tear. I hadn't even realized I was crying.

"I don't know," I sniffle and wipe away the rest of my tears "I think we're both pretty lucky"

"Fine" He says. " be stubborn"

He quirks up his mouth, while I smile.

"I'm proud of you" I say

"For what?" He questions

"For going zip lining, it was very brave"

He chuckles. Then suddenly my feet are swept out from under me.

He holds me like a baby, one arm under my knees the other under my neck. I place my hands on his chest, trying to steady myself.

"Not. Cool" I say as Four runs towards the train tracks. He chuckles again, I love that sound. The sound of his pure joy.

"You love me." He kisses the tip of my nose, gently.

" That, I do. With all of my being"

"I love you too, more than you could ever imagine."

I rest my head against his shoulder. I look up at him and he suddenly smiles, is he thinking of past memories? Future things that could be? Or the present?

It doesn't matter I think. He is happy, thats all that matters thats all that ever matters, thats all that will ever matter.

This book is coming to an end, only three more chapters, then the epilogue of course but still. I'm sorry the chapters have been so short, after I finish I'll go through and edit the chapters, probably make them longer as well.

I think I'm going to write a Allegiant alternate ending type story after this, but I don't know anything for sure. Thoughts??

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING SEE YOU AT CHAPTER 28!!

Stay Dauntless and Be Brave

Marie Rivers