Chapter Three

"Special Agent Silver, I have heard a lot about you." YN's spine straightened at the direct greeting, her lips falling into a thin line.

"As have I, Mr. Pierce. Thank you for agreeing to meet with me today, even if it is virtual." Pierce nodded, placing his hands behind his back. YN was still astounded at the holographic image in front of her, it being the first time she'd ever seen something so advanced. "I must say, this is quite the organization you're running."

"As flattering as that is, Agent Silver, I cannot take all of the credit." YN nodded, looking down to her files and reading Pierce's biography.

"You met Director Fury while serving as Secretary of Defense?" Pierce nodded, urging YN to continue. "You were involved in a hostage situation? In Bogata?" YN said, furrowing her eyebrows. "Director Fury went against your orders to negotiate, instead ordering a military operation to rescue the hostages. You then made him Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. This seems strange to me."

"He saved my daughter that day." YN nodded, folding her hands in her lap. "He took initiative, and that initiative paid off. I respect that." Pierce said.

"Do you often reward employees when they disobey your orders, Mr. Secretary?" Pierce smiled, and YN could tell he was stalling, trying to intimidate her. YN also knew this man was well respected within these wall, and that respect also held an element of fear, and the more YN looked at Pierce, the more she understood why. Men like Pierce surged on fear, grew larger with it, grew strong with it. He wanted fear more than he wanted respect, and a man like that was dangerous.

"I'll ask you a question, Agent Silver, do you not think Nick is worthy of his title?" The question took YN off guard, but she held her expression in a stoic manner, not allowing her true emotions to show.

"I haven't had enough time with him to make a well informed decision." Pierce nodded, sighing as he turned his back to the agent. "In saying that, this isn't about opinions nor what I think. This is about what's going on within these walls, that aren't being disclosed to the American Government."

"And what do you think that is?" YN smirked, crossing her arms as she leant against the surface of her desk, meeting Pierce's eye without a second thought.

"What was Phase 2?" Pierce's face twitched, and YN knew she had him in a sticky spot. "And why did it take an outsider to hack into your database, for it to come to light?" Pierces licked his lips, seemingly unable to answer YN's question. "Phase 2 was never disclosed to us, nor was the breach of security when it was uncovered."

"Phase 2 was a work in progress, we weren't ever going to launch anything without the correct protocols in place." YN hummed, looking to the ground thoughtfully. "If you're trying to say something, Agent Silver, I'd just come out and say it."

"I have nothing to say to you, Mr. Pierce, other than, if something is going on here, I will find out. If it involves you or any of your team, believe me there will be consequences to pay." Pierce raised his eyebrows, a cocky smirk lifting his cheeks. YN nearly felt uncomfortable with the seemingly easy going nature of the man, after just being interrogated.

"Threats will not get you far, Agent Silver." YN noticed Pierce's repeated use of her name, and she understood it was an intimidation tactic, but it wouldn't work. YN was actually pleased with how easy Pierce was threatened, and how easy he was showing it.

"I'm not sure what impression I've given you, Mr. Pierce, but I was not threatening anybody. I was simply stating that this investigation will not be swayed by fear." Pierce nodded before his eyes casted to the side, obviously to someone who had entered his office.