Chapter Eleven

"Get her onto a bed!" A man in scrubs ordered as they burst through the door, having been advised of their incoming patient. Tony laid YN down, a small shriek leaving her mouth as she was moved.

YN tried to curl up, whimpers of pain filling the air. The doctor placed gentle hands on her, forcing her onto her back. Tony tried to stand back, his arms crossed, thumbnail resting between his teeth. His feet begged him to move forward, to console YN as she writhed in agony.

"Mr. Stark, if you could stand at her head, please." Tony jolted into action, quickly moving to stand behind her, grabbing YN's hands in his own. "This is going to be extremely painful for her, and I cannot risk another minute of that shrapnel being inside her, it's very close to some very vital organs-"

"Can you not put her to sleep?" Tony asked as YN shook beneath him. "Anything to help?"

"If I put her to sleep, I may not know if something vital has been hit. She needs to be awake, and we do not have time for a spinal block." YN's head tried to lift, her hands trying to reef from Tony's grip. "Miss. Silver, I need you to remain as still as possible. This will be over very soon."

YN's whimper forced Tony's eyes down, trying his hardest to stop his panic showing. YN's face was screwed into a bloody grimace, her cheeks drenched in painful tears that tracked marks over her blood speckled cheeks. Tony's hands were still encased in hers, their grip so tight his skin was turning white and his fingers were beginning to buzz with numbness.

Another clink and YN's teeth ground down, smothering a cry to the back of her throat. Tony licked his lips, swallowing down his own pathetic whine. He was staring into her terrified eyes, blinking up at him with so much fright that Tony felt his throat clog with unwanted tears.

He shushed her, lifting a hand from her grasp and placing it on her cheek, wiping blood and dirt from her face. "It's okay," YN's bottom lip wobbled as Tony's voice broke. "I know it hurts; I know." YN's eyes squeezed closed and Tony used the brief loss of contact to wipe a stray tear of his own. "Keep your eyes open, YN." Her eyes fluttered back open, the spark slowly dimming. "I know it hurts, but keep your eyes on me. Good girl." YN's body started to shake as another clink sounded in the air. "Their nearly done, okay? Once we're done here, we can go and sleep, we're safe. Just keep your eyes on me, keep them open and on me, please."

YN nodded, her teeth clenching even harder in her fight to stay conscious. Tony's gaze snapped to the doctor who gave him an affirmative nod as he lifted a needle. He lowered it to YN's abdomen and Tony had to look away to suppress the nausea in his gut.

"Tony." YN whimpered, her whole upper torso shaking. "I-it hurts." She cried, tears leaking from her eyes as they squeezed shut.

"I know, baby." He whispered, leaning down to press his face into her hair. "I know, it's okay. I'm right here." YN finally broke as she started to scream, the doctor injecting her wound to try and halt the bleeding before he stitched her up. Every scream YN let out echoed in Tony's mind, his own tears finally dripping from his eyes and onto YN's hair. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Tony chanted, his sobs growing harsher as YN shouted out.

"Please, stop." She pleaded. "Please!"

"Hey, hey," Tony cleared his throat, wiping his eyes. "C'mon, let's get through this and we can go back home and I'll make you your banana pancakes, which is disgusting by the way-" YN moaned, her teeth chattering as her body slowly went into shock. "And... and we can watch Dirty Dancing, and Top Gun and... and Cocktail. YN, you have to breathe and keep breathing for me."

"It hurts..." YN whispered, the fight leaving her body.

"I know, I know." Tony nodded, both hands encasing her face. "But keep those beautiful eyes open for me, I need you to stay awake a little longer. I can't lose you, YN. Not before we try a croissant, or... or you show me how you terribly sing to Grease."

YN tried to smile, but her teeth were chattering too harshly, her face so pale it nearly made Tony violently ill. The doctor started to stitch the wounds up and Tony watched as YN didn't even flinch, worrying Tony more than when she was screaming.

"YN?" He whispered, running a hand through her hair as she blinked lazily at him. "Baby, can you hear me?"

"At least I'm not alone." She said, finally able to smile as the doctor finished up his stitching. "I'm glad you're here with me." She whispered.

"Hey, don't you dare say goodbye to me, YN. Not now, not ever." YN's blinks grew longer between intervals, her glassy eyes growing more distant. "What's going on?" Tony asked, panic evident in everything about him.

"She's exhausted." The doctor said sadly. "She's lost a lot of blood, which we are currently replenishing." He nodded toward the multiple IV lines. "Now it's up to her to fight."

"No, I'm not accepting that bullshit." Tony spat, anger replacing his fear. "What else can you do?" The doctor sighed, rubbing his head as he watched Tony seethe with rage. "There has to be something you can do to keep her from..." Tony choked, tears slipping over his cheeks as he looked back down to YN as she smiled sadly back at him. "She can't slip away, I barely got to hold her."

"She's a strong one, Mr. Stark, she's going to pull through." Tony met a woman's eye, her face familiar but he couldn't place her. "Agent Carter." She said, looking down to YN who turned her head slowly to see her friend. "Hello, Agent Silver."

"Sharon, you know you can call me YN." YN murmured, her eyes slipping shut. "I might sleep now, Tony."

Tony panicked, looking to the doctor as he pushed something into her IV. "What was that?" He growled, his grip on YN's hand tightening.

"I've conducted all my tests, she seems to have complete control over her body, meaning we haven't damaged any ligaments, tendons or nerves. Now it's up to her to accept our help and push through." Tony nodded, relenting and letting the doctor hook YN up to a heart monitor.

"She'll be okay, Mr. Stark." Tony nodded, looking down at himself, his clothing completely covered in YN's blood. Looking back up to watch YN's peaceful face, Tony nodded again, releasing a sigh of defeat.

"I hope so." He whispered.