Chapter Seven

YN and Tony were a few cars behind the truck when it turned onto a dirt road. YN frowned but her eyes were soon wide in shock as she watched four bodies drop and roll from it, her hand reaching out to Tony's arm. "Stop." She hissed, the man swerving to the side and his foot planting on the brakes.

The two watched as Steve, Natasha and Maria Hill got to their feet, along with a man neither YN nor Tony recognized. They watched as Maria said something, walking back toward the main road. YN and Tony sunk back down in their seats, watching through sunglasses.

"Do we make ourselves known- Tony!" YN shouted, trying to scruff his jacket sleeve as he stumbled from the car, lifting his hands immediately as Maria turned her large weapon on them. YN also left the vehicle with her arms up, sending Tony the most heated glare she could muster.

"Tony?" Steve stepped forward but Maria stopped him, cocking her gun higher.

"What are you doing here, Stark?" She asked, not even glancing to YN. "How'd you know where to find us?"

"We've been following you." YN piped up as Tony and YN moved to the front of the car, YN lifting her foot and stamping it on Tony's harshly, the older man letting out a hiss of pain. "Saw the state of the bridge, saw these three getting arrested and we followed you."

"What are you doing in D.C.?" Steve asked, his arm hooking under Natasha as she was seemingly hurt.

"YN was attacked in her apartment, around the same time Fury was shot." Tony said, ignoring YN's elbow as it landed a blow to his ribs. "We think it's all connected to this Project Insight."

"How do you know about that?" Steve asked, making the other eyes snap to him. YN frowned, regret for Tony's information leak curling in her stomach. "Fury said no one else in our team knew about it."

"Well, I wonder why? Fury's dead, YN's apartment was shot up and we were just tracked all the way to the airport." Tony grumbled, his arms crossing over his chest. "You knew about this and you didn't tell anyone?"

"I was only told recently, after Agent Silver started her investigation. Fury tried to put it on hold the minute she landed." YN shook her head, laughing under her breath. "Pierce-"

YN zoned out as she thought about her conversation with the security, her mind running over every hint he gave her toward his true nature. The intimidation, avoiding her questions, the fear in his eyes when they were interrupted. "Pierce," she whispered, meeting Tony's eyes. "It's Pierce."

"You're sure?" YN nodded, both of their eyes moving back to the other group as Natasha groaned, Steve readjusting his hold on her.

"She's not in great shape, we need to get her a medic." The new man said, nodding toward Steve who agreed.

"We have a car on the way, are you guys coming with us?" To her surprise, Tony waited for YN to speak, his entire body turning to her as she watched the other group move forward.

"What's the plan?" He asked, the question making YN feel light inside, and she couldn't quite work out why. She knew that Tony was headstrong, most of the plans were his own and he rarely agreed with anything she said. "Silver?"

"You should go with them." She said, nodding as their vehicle pulled up, Natasha being helped into a seat. "You should go with your team." Tony frowned, shaking his head. "Tony-"

"There is no way you're going off on your own." YN rolled her eyes, dropping her gaze to the floor. "You may think you're strong enough for this, but if I know one thing, it's that there's strength in numbers, and one is not a very big number." YN gave him a blank stare but Tony didn't back down, the others watching them have a silent conversation before YN groaned. "Hey guys, thanks for the offer but we have some... stuff going on. We'll stay in contact!"

The team stared at them strangely, not entirely sure when the two of them gained telepathic tendencies. Without another word the door slid closed, causing Tony to let out a humorless laugh. The vehicle drove off and YN turned back to Tony, an eyebrow raised high on her forehead.

"Stupid." She muttered, walking around Tony and toward the driver's seat. "Your stupid, Stark." Tony laughed as he too moved to his seat in the car. "it's not funny, you're one stupid, stupid man." Nodding, Tony lifted his hands as his laughter grew.

"I'm not disagreeing with you, Silver." He muttered as his laughter died down.

"Thank you, by the way." When Tony sent her a confused look, YN sighed, pulling out onto the highway. "For not mentioning Derek, I... I just... Just, thank you." Tony nodded, his mouth now pressed into a firm line. "He meant a lot to me, and losing him... losing him is like losing a family member."

"I realized that when I found the fist sized hole in the dry wall in the bathroom of our last motel." YN grimaced, sending Tony a guilty smile. "Not a worry, I left a hefty tip." YN bit her tongue to stop a laugh escaping her but it wasn't enough, the chuckle leaving her lips anyway. Tony paused everything as he watched YN giggle softly, the sound drifting into his ears like a tune that blessed him with it's melody.

It was clear YN didn't allow herself to laugh often, and maybe it was her determination to appear emotionally blank, or as a intimidation tactic, but Tony was starting to see her exterior become foggy the more he spent time with her. Somewhere deep within YN was a regular woman, with regular emotion and regular need, and Tony silently hoped that he could one day see that side of her.

"You should laugh more often." Tony felt himself saying, causing YN to fall silent very quickly. "I'm sorry..."

"No, it's uh... it's fine." YN returned, shooting Tony a small but real smile. "You're right, I should."

"But you won't?" He asked, raising his eyebrows and biting back a smile of his own.

"I might." YN shrugged, turning back to the road. "Let's live through the next twenty-four hours first." Tony nodded as he also looked back to the road. "Next stop, the Triskelion."