Chapter Fifteen

This is kinda a filler, but big things are coming!!!

Steve groaned as Tony followed him toward the door. Turning, the blonde man folded his arms, giving the shorter brunette a disapproving look. Tony gave him a bored one in return, his foot tapping on the ground.

"You're just going to follow me anyway, aren't you?" Steve sighed, rubbing his forehead. Tony grinned, nodding his head. Steve surveyed the smile, and although Tony put on a good front, the captain new that he was hurting. Steve finally relented, throwing his hands up. "Okay, but you can wait outside." Tony cocked his head before shrugging.

"Sure, Cap." He nodded, and Steve did not believe him for even a second. The two of them started their trek toward the coffee shop, the silence between them unusually uncomfortable. "She's probably going to be pissed, huh?" Steve huffed, nodding his head as he stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Can you blame her?" Tony coughed, running a hand through his hair. "The girl just found out that you could have prevented her ex lover's death." Tony groaned, throwing his head back.

"God, remind me not to ever come to you for comfort again, Rogers." He muttered, glaring at the ground with so much heat, it was surprising it didn't catch alight.

They rounded the last corner, the silence settling back over the two men. Steve rolled his eyes as a black SUV screeched its tires, moving into traffic in a rush.

"People drive like maniacs." He murmured, shaking his head in a disapproving manner. Tony nodded, stopping outside the door, bouncing on the pads of his feet. "Just... wait here." Tony nodded, leaning against the glass of the wall.

Steve let out a breath as he entered. Tony looked to his feet, tempted to look into the shop to get at least a glimpse of the face he longed desperately to see. Too soon, Steve exited the shop with a confused frown. Tony raised an eyebrow at him, his eyes automatically drifting to the interior of the building behind them.

"I could have sworn she said she'd meet me here." Steve said, lowering his gaze to his phone, his fingers already selecting YN's name. The two of them waited, letting the phone ring until it went to voicemail. Tony bit his lip, an antsy feeling already settling in his stomach. Steve clicked YN's name again, pulling his phone away from his ear with a harsh sigh when it, yet again, met an answering machine.

"Maybe she's not here yet?" Tony said, trying to remain nonchalant, even though his chest was tight and his hands were already glimmering with sweat. The two men shared a glance, both unbelieving that YN would be late to a meeting, let alone not answer her phone. Tony looked around his surroundings, bringing his phone out from his pocket. "J.A.R.V.I.S, show me YN's last whereabouts."

After a few minutes, the A.I. brought a photo of YN up on Tony's phone, the woman sitting at a table with a solemn look on her face. Tony cleared his throat, quickly showing Steve that YN had indeed been on time for her meeting with the captain.

"Alright, show me her movements." The picture started to move, showing YN's hand coming up to house her chin as she leant against it, her gaze not moving from the table. Tony frowned as he watched a man approach her, saying something to her that made her stiffen her entire frame.

The two had a brief conversation before YN's eyes drifted around the patrons in the room. The man's hand soon found place on YN's shoulder, and Tony grew taut with rage as YN nodded, her arms folding in front of her. Unable to see anything more as YN left the frame, Tony's teeth grounded together, his fist tightening at his side.

"Do we have anything else on her?" Steve asked, a worried expression on his face. J.A.R.V.I.S pulled up a street camera then, zooming in on YN as she stepped out from the coffee shop, approaching a familiar looking SUV. "Is that-" Steve stopped, shocked as YN was shoved into the car, it peeling off as both he and Tony came into view.

"You've got to be shitting me." Tony spat, nearly crushing his phone under the clench of his fist. "She was right there!" Tony cursed again, flicking a few tabs on his phone. He watched YN talk to the man again, frustration and guilt simmering like a fever under his skin.

"Wait, zoom up on her hand." Tony didn't question the blonde man as he ordered the A.I. to do as he said. Steve took out a notebook, writing something down as he watched YN's hand closely.

"What-"

"She knew we'd be watching." Tony frowned, looking back down to YN, trying to find a clue as to how Steve would know that. Finally, Tony noticed the subtle movement of YN's fingers, tapping in a specific, methodical way.

"Morse code." Tony said quietly, shaking his head in disbelief as Steve hummed in confirmation. "Son of a bitch, this woman can do it all." Steve didn't answer, rewinding the tape a few seconds, pausing it every few more to jot down the coding. "What's she saying?"

"'FBI compromised', then she says a name, 'Jeremy Hanson'?" Steve watched Tony's eyes widen as he obviously recognized the name. "That name mean something to you?" Tony nodded, turning away from Steve as they hurried back toward the tower. "Tony-"

"We gotta get her back, Rogers." Is all Tony said as they took off in a sprint, trying their hardest to do something, anything to get the woman out of trouble.