Chapter Fourteen

YN stared at her computer screen, eyebrows crinkling. Her office smelled like coffee, most likely due to the three empty mug sitting nearby. Licking her lips, she sat her fingers on the keyboard. She tried to start typing, but every sentence she started was quickly erased. Huffing in frustration, YN rubbed her eyes, resting against the back of her chair.

YN's thumb came up to rest between her teeth, the nail nearly completely gone due to her nervous biting. Everything she did reminded her of where she had been for the last few weeks. The coffee machine in the staff kitchen, the sound reminded her of conversations with Sharon while they waited for their cups to brew. The office she sat in, it reminded her of the first time she'd met-

YN shook her head, making herself push the thought of Tony Stark to the darkest, deepest parts of her mind. She shook her hands and once again rested them on her keyboard, forcing her hands to dance over the keys quickly.

"Still struggling with the debrief?" YN jumped, her gaze snapping to the door where Detective Hanson was standing, a smug smile on his irritating face.

"What gave me away?" YN asked sarcastically, lowering her screen on the laptop. "Can I do something for you?"

"Just came to give you the subpoena." YN frowned, snatching the sheet from Hanson's outstretched hand. She opened the piece of paper, her frown deepening with every word she read. "Thought you'd have that reaction."

"Why is this going to trial?" YN asked harshly, the sheet of paper curling in her fist. "How is this going to trial?" Hanson chuckled, leaning against her desk, making the agitated woman glare at him.

"You didn't think it would be easy taking down an organization like HYDRA, did you?" YN swallowed, releasing a breath. "They aren't going to go down easy, Silver. You'll have to make a testimony against them. The survivors of HYDRA will be called forward to make their own statement. It's the same as any other investigation that reaches trial." Hanson shrugged and YN stared at him in confusion.

"How do you know so much about this?" YN asked, a defensive expression swallowing her features. "Not a lot has been released to the rest of the bureau yet." Hanson shrugged and YN felt her spine straighten, the hair pricking at the back of her neck. "I asked you a question, Detective Hanson."

Hanson grinned, moving toward the door in a nonchalant manner. "While you were out flaunting around with Stark and his bunch of posers, I did a little research myself." YN stared as Hanson's hand came up to pick at the peeling paint of the doorway. "A little, self interest, if you will."

YN's mouth fell into a straight line as Hanson winked, leaving her office cold and eerie. YN blinked, blowing out a calming breath as she slowly walked to her phone, clicking on a contact and lifting it to her ear.

"Captain Rogers." He answered and YN could hear the muffled background noise around his voice.

"Steve, it's YN." Steve paused and YN wondered why he was so caught off guard. "Are you there?"

"Uh yeah, YN, can you hold on a minute?" YN sighed, tapping her hand against her thigh as she listened to Steve move around. "Sorry, I was... with someone."

"You mean Tony." YN took Steve's silence as confirmation and YN huffed. "We have a problem."

"What is it? Are you alright?" YN chuckled, nodding her head even though Steve couldn't see her.

"We need to talk." YN said, biting her lip as she looked around her office. "Can you meet?" Steve agreed, giving her a time and place to meet him privately. YN bit him goodbye, her heart pounding slightly harder than it was previously. She was on edge, and not just from the possibility of this not being over. She knew she would have to at least hear Tony's name, but having spoken to Steve while he was that close to him made her feel... things.

YN was beyond angry and disappointed in the man, she felt sick thinking about how careless he was with information that could have cost them a lot more than what it had. YN sighed, feeling her emotions bubble in her chest.

She opened her phone, clicking on her photos so that she could look at her memories beyond the backs of her eyelids. YN bit her lip as his face showed up, all smiley and full of life. Derek had been one of the important people in YN's life. He had been there for everything. Her mother's death, her graduation from the academy and then when her father was shot.

YN felt tears drip down her cheeks, splashing over the screen that showed herself and Derek laughing. It had been his thirtieth birthday, the last one they'd spent as a couple. YN was starting to feel the effects of her job, the tiredness evident under her eyes.

Yet, Derek had made her laugh anyway, his arms were wrapped around the woman, his eyes directed down to her. She couldn't remember what it was that had made them laugh so hard, but she knew that Derek always had a way of making her feel the happiest in any given moment.

Sniffing back more tears, YN placed her phone in her bag, wiping her face free from any remaining evidence. Collecting her belongings, she left her office, keeping her head low as she exited the precinct.

She arrived at the coffee shop a few minutes later, keeping to herself in the back of the room, YN waited for the captain to arrive. She sat at the small table, her eyes staring blankly at the wooden surface. YN was off in another world when he spoke, causing her spine to straighten dramatically.

"Good morning, Agent Silver." YN tried to relax her posture as the man walked into view. YN looked up, fixing her features into a polite smile. "Are you waiting for someone?"

"No, just escaping the office for a while." She smiled. "I'm sorry, do I know you?" YN asked, hesitant to stand from the table. The man chuckled, fixing his tie as if to appear nervous.

"No, but you will." YN cocked her head, already anticipating to hear something far from friendly. "There's three gunman in this coffee shop." YN stilled, her eyes drifting around the shop, already noticing the men he was referring to. "Now, you would have picked up on that, if you hadn't been intensely staring at the table." YN clenched her teeth, flexing her fingers, itching to fill her palm with her weapon. "Now, you come with me, the men will leave, no harm no foul."

"And if I don't?" The tall man chuckled, adjusting his glasses before placing a hand on YN's shoulder, the woman tensing beneath it.

"They will open fire onto every innocent patron in this place, and then we will take you anyway." YN swallowed, her eyes glaring up at him. "Come along, Agent, before we make you." YN went to grab her bag but a hand struck out, collecting it for her instead. "You won't be needing those." He tutted, urging her to move toward the door.

YN slowly walked toward the exit, her hands shaking at her side, both begging to be noticed but also praying to God no one said anything to set the men off. YN stepped outside, her gaze being drawn automatically to a black SUV.

"Get in. Now." YN nodded, stepping forward. She didn't get far before she was shoved, the door opening and a hand stuck out ripping her from the sidewalk and into the vehicle. It peeled off only seconds after her feet left the cement.