Chapter Six

YN and Tony were sitting side by side on a plane, the silence making the air thick. YN was staring down to her hands, refusing to close her eyes, the image of Derek's pale face waiting for her. Tony's hands kept lifting up to fix his hair, using any fidgeting action to stop himself from punching something. The frustration of their current situation itching at his skin.

The news of Fury's death had rattled him, that much was obvious to YN, but she didn't know how to ask him if he was alright. She had never had to comfort anyone before. Tony sighed, his hand once again lifting to his face.

"Stop it." YN muttered, her gaze finally flicking to the man as he paused. "Your hair looks fine." Tony licked his lips as his hand lowered back down to rest in his lap, fidgeting with the other. "Rogers say why Fury was targeted?"

"He didn't say much at all. Just that he was attacked in his apartment, sniped through the window. Steve went after the assailant but he got away." YN nodded, shaking her head.

"Why would Fury be in Steve's apartment? Were they that close?" Tony shook his own head then. "Maybe he found something out? Maybe he was on the same path we're on?" Tony shrugged, not giving YN much else.

"We need to tell him." Tony finally muttered a few minutes later, catching YN's attention. YN raised her eyebrow, unsure who Tony was referring to. "We need to tell Steve, he'll know how to handle it." YN shook her head, opening her mouth to disagree. "Look, Silver, I know this is your investigation, but there's a reason you didn't call in your attack, why you left the body of your friend back at his apartment, and why we're on a public plane rather than a private jet." YN's tongue darted out to wet her lips, and Tony fought to not stare as it dragged over the pink flesh. "You can't trust anyone; we can't trust anyone other than whom we know is on that list."

YN sighed, nodding her head slowly. YN looked around at the passengers surrounding her, feeling slightly exposed. She frowned as the skin on the back of her neck pricked. Her hand slid across to Tony's lap, the older man's eyes snapped to it quickly. Looking back up, he met YN's eyes, the look in them reflecting desperation.

Her lips moved around the word 'bathroom', and Tony immediately knew something was wrong. YN got to her feet, stopping an attendant, motioning behind her back to Tony to move past her. "Excuse me, Ma'am, do you have a drinks station?"

The attendant pointed down the aisle, causing YN to smile brightly, nodding her head in thanks. Walking down the aisle, YN looked over her fellow passengers, eyeing them slyly as she passed. Moving past the mentioned drink station, YN walked toward the bathrooms, knocking on the one occupied.

It opened slightly and YN slipped in, locking it behind her immediately. Turning, YN gasped as she found herself chest to chest with Tony, his hands coming down to her waist to stop their swaying. YN gulped, licking her lips as her eyes once again moved to Tony's mouth, her heart stuttering in her chest.

Tony smirked, letting her go and leaning back against the wall. YN took a second to collect herself, wringing her hands in front of her. "They're out there."

"I figured from the way we went all mile high club, just now." YN scoffed, looking to her feet to stop the confusing blush from coating her cheeks. "What's the plan?" YN's head flicked up to meet Tony's eyes, her eyebrows furrowed. "You don't have a plan?" Tony whispered, throwing his hands up.

"I thought maybe you could contribute for once?" YN returned, her whisper sounding like a yell to Tony's ears. "You know, the whole trip has been me getting us out of this shit."

"I'm sorry, was it not you knocking on my door two days ago, looking for a safe place to stitch a bullet wound?" YN scoffed again, crossing her arms.

"It was a graze." She muttered.

"Whatever," Tony rolled his eyes. "You came to me, now we're stuck on this place, with who knows how many bad guys and I don't even have my suit." YN's face fell into a death stare. "What did you expect? We left New York in a bit of a hurry! I thought we were doing a wellness check! Not a complete organization take down!"

"Tony!" YN shouted quietly, gripping his shirt. "You're Iron Man, how are we supposed to do this when you don't have your fucking suit!" Tony gripped YN's wrist, the woman too wound up to take much notice.

"When we land, I'll call for it, but I can't really have it crashing through the side of the plane, now can I?" YN let out a breathy groan, her head falling forward. It ended up resting on Tony's chest, and the man's eyes widened steadily. "Uh, are you okay?"

YN's response was a noncoherent grunt, making a smile twitch at Tony's mouth. The two stayed in the same position for a few minutes before YN jolted backward, her eyes wide and round. Tony stared into them with a small amount of shock. He'd never seen her look so open before, he felt like he could finally see who YN really was.

Her big eyes were reflecting the fluorescent lights of the plane's bathroom, and while it was a ghastly colored light, it lit YN's eyes up in just the right way. The woman looked back into Tony's brown, flicking hers between his. Before long, the silence grew thick, along with the tension and Tony broke it with a cleared throat, causing YN to jolt back quickly.

"We should-"

"-yeah." Tony nodded, rubbing the scruff of his neck. "Let's-"

"-yep." YN agreed, sliding the door only slightly before it was pushed shut again.

"Wait, what was the plan again?" YN blinked, only just realizing they hadn't actually made one.

"Uh, wing it?" She muttered, shrugging her shoulders with a grimace.

"Right," Tony pressed his lips together. "Winging it, great."

----------------------------------------------

YN huffed as they reached a vehicle, tucking a scavenged weapon into her boot. The two had only encountered four men with intent, and YN had taken them out quite quickly, but that also meant that security were onto them, and losing them was a whole other story.

Tony's foot hit the gas as soon as his door shut, and YN was thrown back into her seat, tossing Tony a heated glare. They drove in silence as they wound down from their fight. They were headed over the highway when they saw it, the highway into D.C. in ruins, cars alight and buildings smoking.

"You don't think?" YN muttered as they slowed to a stop, noticing the clean up crew from S.H.I.E.L.D collecting bodies from the bridge. YN and Tony sunk in their seats, pulling their hoods down over the faces as they passed at a breath haltingly slow pace.

"Looks like Steve and Natasha are making a mess of their own." YN chewed on the inside of her mouth as she turned her head, gasping as she watched three people being arrested below, two of whom she recognized.

"Looks like they made a friend, too." She whispered. "Take your next left, we need to follow that truck."