Chapter 23

The morning lacked its usual chill when Micara awoke. Instead of the cool, damp air she had grown accustomed to facing each morning, there was a bed of soft blankets, and a band of warmth running across her stomach and all down her left side. The strange warmth shifted and Micara froze in confusion. When a cabin ceiling met her now opened eyes instead of the tent canvas, she relaxed, remembering where she was. She let out a sigh of relief when she realized the mysterious warm presence snuggled next to her was Maggie and not some woodland creature that had crawled into her tent as she slept.

She felt warm and content as she lay next to Maggie. She had never felt such instant companionship as she felt with Calen's family, especially his youngest sister. They had alll welcomed her into their home with unparalleled kindness, and she felt completely at ease surrounded by them.

She and Calen would continue on their way to Trenton after breakfast, the last leg of their arduous journey. Micara was surprised when she felt a pang of sadness. She would miss them all, the Donellys and the Tucketts, for once she was living with her aunt, it would not be likely that she would see them again.

Micara found herself reluctant to rise, reluctant to leave Maggie's slumbering embrace, reluctant to leave the Donelly cabin. But she knew she had to. Her aunt was waiting for her in Trenton, and that was where she belonged.

She lifted Maggie's arm from across her middle and scooted away from the sleeping girl, towards the edge of the mattress. She shivered as she left Maggie's body heat, and dressed quickly. She put her nightgown back into her trunk before going into the kitchen.

Katrina was sitting at the kitchen table sipping coffee from the scent of it. She had forsaken her buckskins and somehow managed to look elegant in a simple dress of grey homespun. She was fiddling with the end of her long black braid, but flipped it over her shoulder and smiled a good morning to Cara as she entered.

Cara could smell breakfast and her mouth watered when she saw the fried ham and scrambled eggs keeping warm next to a giant pot of coffee on the back of the stove. Without thinking, she went to the cupboard and retrieved a plate and began loading it with food. She had a slice of ham and was about to add eggs when she stopped, chagrined. She hadn't even considered the fact that she might not be welcomed to breakfast.

She turned to Katrina sheepishly, "I am sorry, may I?"

Katrina chuckled, "Aye, help yerself, tis what it's there for."

Cara smiled in relief and finished loading her plate before going to the table and sitting next to Katrina. She started on the food ravenously, only her strictly taught manners keeping her to an almost ladylike speed.

Katrina sipped her coffee and waited till Cara had slowed down before she began a conversation. "Ye slept well?" she asked.

Cara swallowed before answering, yes, it was very cozy."

Katrina smiled understandingly, "Maggie snuggled ye a bit, did she?"

That brought a smile to Cara's face. "I did stay warm."

Katrina laughed her delicate and feminine laugh, her suspicions confirmed. She gave Cara a mischievous glance, "And ye see why I moved to the loft soon as Calen left it."

Maggie came out of her room just then, and Katrina hid her smile behind her cup. Maggie looked as though she were still asleep. She hadn't dressed or fixed her hair yet, and her eyes were only half open. She ignored the other two girls, going straight to the stove and picking up a piece of ham to nibble on.

Neither of the girls at the table could get a word out before the door burst open and Shannon swept in,  holding the wet hem of her skirt up from the dust.