Chapter 29

Calen ended up joining Micara and his sisters for the remainder of their swim. He did race Katrina across the river, and succeeded in reaching the further shore first, but lost his lead when she outmaneuvered him in the turn around by diving under, flipping, and resurfacing in front of him when he stopped and turned to head back.

Cara and Maggie cheered them on, but both girls secretly favoured Katrina's victory. Cara knew she ought to feel chagrined by the fact, but she felt the tiniest bit relieved that someone was better than Calen at something.

They didn't stay long after the race, for both Micara and Maggie  began shivering from standing still in cold water. The women waded to shore and continued on to the cabin without Calen when he waved them ahead and dunked below the surface. They crowded into Maggie's room, each of them eager to be out of their wet clothes.

"Micara," Maggie asked, her voice muffled by the petticoat around head head and neck that she was struggling into.

Micara chuckled and tugged the waist opening over Maggie's red curls. "Oui?"

Maggie smiled impishly, her single dimple in her right cheek making her look especially young and mischievous. She tugged the petticoat to her waist and straightened the ties.

"Would you marry Calen if he asked?"

Micro's mouth opened and closed wordlessly in shock.

"Maggie!" Katrina exclaimed, "Hold yer tongue!"

Maggie looked defensively at Katrina, "You want the answer as well."

Katrina frowned at her younger sister before turning to Cara, "Tis sorry I am fed her words. Ye need not answer, fear tis no one's business but yer own."

She cast another glare at her sister. Maggie rolled her eyes and turned her back to pull on her dress. None of them seemed to know what to say after that, so they dressed in silence. Maggie left the room with a final toss of her hair.

Katrina noticed Cara struggling with the lacings at the back of her dress, and she went to help. "I am sorry," she told Cara again, "Maggie lets her bluntness escape her sometimes."

She paused for a moment before continuing, "But she was not wrong on one count. Do an let me pry, but would ye? Would ye marry my brother?"

Micara was still for a long moment. "I don't know," she whispered.

~~~~~~~~

Calen came in from his swim as Shannon was setting the table for supper. He ducked into Maggie's room to change. He finished quickly and gave his mum a peck on the cheek as he went outside to hang his wet clothes on the line like she had told him to do at least three times in the minute and a half he had been in the house. 

He met Micara on his way. She was coming from the clothesline carrying a woven basket filled with clothes. He smiled when he saw her. "Hello, lass, ye look lovely tonight."

She blushed. "Hello, Calen."

He smiled wider at the clot of her cheeks. "Did ye enjoy the river today?"

She nodded, but looked down silently.

He thought to ask what was wrong, but she excused herself and went around him and back into the cabin. Calen frowned and watched her go. He walked far enough to toss his trousers and shirt onto the line before turning around, not caring how they hung.

It appeared his Mum had finally allowed Micara to help with the chores, for as Calen reached the cabin, Cara was headed out again, the water pail in her hand.