Chapter 7

Will's canoe was the larger of the two, so they emptied the supplies and furs from Calen's canoe into it and stowed Calen's canoe on the shore. Calen positioned himself at the bow of Will's canoe and Will took the stern. Together they gripped it and lifted it onto their shoulders. Micara stood in astonishment as they began to march forward.

"Wait," she cried as she followed after them, "What are you doing? Where are you going?"

She followed them into the forest. They didn't wait for her, and though their pace was slow, Micara, having to contend with heavy skirts and ruined boots, found it hard to keep up. She struggled on after them though, the tree roots made her stumble and the brambles and branches grabbed at her full skirt and hair. The sun beat down even through the trees and there were bugs everywhere.

They had been walking for two hours before Will voiced the question Micara had been dying to ask. "How much longer, Calen?"

Calen grunted, shifting the canoe's position on his shoulder, before answering, "Remember the clearing where the regular crossing begins? We'll be there in no more than a few minute's time."

Cara rejoiced silently, willing her sore feet to keep on with their trudging.

Soon the woods gave way to an empty space. In her eagerness to leave the confining trees, Cara stumbled on a root, barely catching herself from landing flat on her face. The clearing was quite a disappointing sight. It was smaller than the one they had stayed at the first night, and not nearly as pretty. There were signs of its frequent use too. A circle of stones was already laid and a crudely made shelter of branches had been constructed. The amount of grass was almost non-existent, for the smooth bare rock that lined the river here had crept its way up the bank and almost into the clearing. Cara's spirits drooped as she took in the sight.

Calen and Will felt the opposite. They lowered their burden gratefully, Will stating how glad he was to reach the clearing. They both sat on the ground, leaning against the canoe and stretching their legs out in front of them. While they rested, Micara inspected the dismal little shelter. It was an eyesore to behold, but it seemed sturdy enough. It was about as tall as the tent, with scarcely enough room to accommodate one person. Some of the branches on the roof looked brittle and in need of replacing, but it would do for tonight.

When she went back to the men, they were standing, stretching their muscles. Will reached for his musket from inside the canoe. "I'll be back this evening," he told Calen, "Do not shoot me when you hear me crashing through the trees."

"If ye remember to use yer voice, I'll remember not to use my musket," Calen retorted.

Will chuckled, "I'll do that, and tonight I'll be hungrier than a bear from carrying your canoe across the country, so I expect some fresh game to be roasting when I return."

Calen laughed and Will went back into the woods, leaving Micara alone with Calen. Micara was confused, and the thought of being alone with the rude Scotsman made her a bit panicked.

"Where is Will going?" She inquired nervously.

Calen looked at her as if she were a child and she felt embarrassed by the scared tone of her question. "He's going to fetch the other canoe."

Micara tried to collect herself, realizing her foolishness of her fear. Suddenly she felt overwhelmed by the exhausting day. She felt gritty and dirty from head to her throbbing feet. She sat down by the canoe and leaned her back against it, closing her eyes against the headache that was forming at her temples. It had been a long day.

Calen watched Micara as she sat and closed her eyes. The weariness was plain on her face. He felt a pang of guilt. He had pushed them to a pace that he and Will as seasoned coeur de bois had been accustomed to. He had wanted to see if he could wear her out, if he could provoke her. The guilt he felt compounded as he tried to put himself in her place. It wasn't her fault that she was spoiled, and he had been blaming their progress on her. They were traveling more slowly than if it had been just him and Will and Calen was not enjoying the change.