Chapter 13

Calen awoke with a groan, the throbbing in his head almost matching the pain in his shoulder. He recalled what had happened, if somewhat hazily. He opened his eyes and raised his right hand to rub them when he was greeted with a blurred version of the darkened forest. Either the sun had just set or it had not risen yet, judging by the amount of light in the sky.

Calen knew he had had a close brush with death, and he felt it all throughout his body. Or rather it felt like he'd undergone a wrestling match instead of a mere brush. His head was heavy and pounding, his muscles ached, and his mouth was as dry as a desert.  The whiskey had not been a wise decision.

A movement to the right drew his attention. One of the blanket covered forms near the fire wriggled free of its warm cocoon. It was Will. He stood and stretched before going to the fire. He stirred it up and added a couple pieces of wood to it. The dying flames rekindled quickly, crackling greedily at the new addition. 

Calen cleared his throat to get Will's attention. "William lad, will ye fetch me some water?"

Even through the darkness Calen could see Will's grin.

"Finally awake I see," Will said. He retrieved the water skin from camp and brought it to Calen.

Calen guzzled half of the skin'd contents. "How long have I been asleep?" he asked when his thirst had been quenched.

"A day and most of the night," Will answered as he took the water skin back.

Calen shifted his body against the tree. He had fallen asleep in a very unforgiving position and he was feeling it now. He had a crick in his neck and his back was stiff from the angle at which it rested on the tree. A groan of pain escaped him as he moved.

Will chuckled. "That'll teach you to get shot, won't it?" he said, seemingly enjoying Calen's discomfort.

Calen glared at him. "I don't seem to recall much of a choice in the matter, getting shot isn't exactly my idea of a good time."

"It's about time it happened. I'm surprised you've lasted this long without someone putting a bullet in you. Granted I'd never have thought it'd be a lass to be the one that did it, but that just sweetens the deal a little, doesn't it? At least for those of us who get to tell the tale."

Will's smile stretched from ear to ear as he teased. Calen could sense the feeling of relief that was causing Will to jest, and he didn't blame him one bit.

Calen lifted his good arm and and extended it to his friend. "Well, lad, if ye will wipe that smug grin off yer face long enough to help me stand, I'll not hold it against ye."

Will made no move to help.

"What is it, lad?"

Will glanced to the camp, at the still sleeping Micara. "I don't know if I can do that," he said, "the lass has been taking care of you all day. She near bit my head off when I tried to move you before. She's small, but she is fierce."

Calen knew very well the sting of Micara's anger. It surprised him how such a large temper could fit in such a wee lass. But, it couldn't be helped, he needed to get up.

"Never mind about her, lad, I have business that needs attending to. I'll take the brunt of her fury if that be what yer worrying about."

Will remained standing where he was, "Why?"

"Lad," Calen said, beginning to feel frustrated, "in case you're forgetting, last night I had rather a lot to drink. Unless I'm mistaken, that liquid is not going to simply vanish from me body on its own.'

Understanding dawned on Will and he moved forward to help Calen to his feet. "You could have just said so," he said.

Calen straightened up painfully and grunted, "Aye, next time I'll be sure to inform ye promptly."