Chapter 27

On the third day of Micara's stay at the Donelly homestead, the Tuckett boys came to visit. They both carried their muskets and Will toted a dishcloth-wrapped bundle of baked goods that Mrs. Tuckett had sent along. Will hadn't heard of what had happened to Cara at the tavern in Trenton and his face was a picture of surprise when he saw her in the yard.

"If I would have known you were here, I would have visited sooner," he told her after they had been greeted. He was curious at the change of plans. Calen took over the explanation; he told the brothers of the situation at the inn, keeping the narrative as short as he could.

Micara could see the rage collecting in Will's expression as Calen spoke. His hands were balled into fists and he looked as though he would use them gladly on the unsavoury man the story had been about. Tuck, on the other hand, remained impassive. His only reaction was to comment when Calen had finished talking, "I heard there had been some trouble at the Two Crowns, never would'a guessed you'd be at the other end of it."

He excused himself from the conversation after that and went into the house. Micara watched curiously as Calen frowned after him.

After a moment, Will changed the subject, addressing the bundle in his hands. "Let me get this to your mum's care before I forget, and I'll be back to talk in a moment."

He sauntered off to the cabin, disappearing inside. He was not inside for more than a minute before Tuck stepped back through the door. Katrina followed him out a few steps behind. They went down to the riverbank and began to stroll downstream. Again Calen watched disapprovingly. The couple was quickly out of view from the yard, but Calen's eyes stayed fixed in the direction they had disappeared in, a scowl on his face.

His obvious displeasure was enough that it got the better of Micara's curiosity. "You do not approve?" she asked him.

"Of what?" Calen asked, looking back at her.

"Of them," Cara explained, waving her hand dismissively in the direction Katrina and Tuck had disappeared to, "Of him, of the match."

Calen's frown deepened and his eyes turned back to where the couple had gone. "I have my concerns," he said. He did not elaborate, and it was Micara's turn to frown in dissatisfaction.

She knew she should not press further, but she would have, had Maggie not walked outside and headed towards them. Will followed her outside, a woven basket of clothing in his arms.

"Calen," Maggie said as she approached, "Mum needs the big wash cauldron filled with water."

Calen looked at her knowingly, "Aye, and I'll bet she requested ye do it yourself."

Maggie gave a small smile before batting her eyelashes innocently, "But Calen, the buckets are ever so heavy."

Calen remained completely unconvinced. Obviously he had seen this routine before. "Like that basket ye have William toting?" he asked as Will reached them. Will's face turned red and he set the basket down.

Maggie grabbed Will's arm defensively, turning him a darker shade of red. "I don't have him toting anything. Unlike you, he was gentlemanly enough to offer."

Calen said nothing but raised his eyebrows sardonically.

Maggie put on her best pleading look. She waited unsuccessfully for a few moments for Calen to respond before pasting on a forlorn expression and beginning to turn away. "I suppose I can manage one bucket at a time," she said with a sad sigh.

Calen glanced at Micara who was trying to keep from smiling. He flicked his eyes suggestively at Will, hinting to her that he knew exactly what would happen next. As if on cue, Will began to speak.