Chapter 33

Micara closed herself in the library on the second floor, her favourite room in the house. She leaned her back against the door, pressing it tightly shut, and releasing a shaky breath. She would have gone to her room, but Maggie had insisted on sharing it for the entirety of their stay.

Micro's mind was racing. Calen was here, in the house somewhere and she needed to get a grip on her emotions before she saw him again.

She heard heavy footsteps in the hall outside the door and she held her breath until they passed by.

She tried to reason her nerves away. Maggie had told her about the invitation and about practically forcing Calen to agree to come. He was here for the party as a distinguished guest, obviously. Yet, the look he had given her at the door, and his unwavering gaze throughout the tour of the house, always on her. Though she knew it was bound to burst, she felt a bubble of hope rise in her chest.

When she had finally gotten herself under control, she left the library. Maggie found her immediately and towed her along through the rooms she fancied, talking with endless enthusiasm. 

When Anna asked if they'd like help dressing for dinner, Maggie gasped in horror. She was wearing her nicest dress, the green plaid Micara had given her, and it was positively travel worn. She began to panic, but Micara laughed, assuring her all would be well. They fetched Katrina and the trio went to dress.

Maggie tried on at least six frocks from Micara's wardrobe before deciding on a deep purple ballgown, despite Micara's insurance hat dinner would not be that fancy.

Katrina borrowed a simple soft pink gown, embellished only by a touch of lace at the neckline. The bodice was tight and the skirt missed the floor by an inch or two, but she brought her natural grace to it and wore it beautifully.

Micara wore forest green. The dress was one of her particular favourites. It nipped in at the waist and flared out into a perfect bell shape, accentuating her curves, while its hue seemed to deepen the colour of her eyes. She didn't bother powdering her curls, but she did have Anna twist and pin them so they fell in and ebony cascade down her left shoulder.

She spared one last glance in the mirror, pinching her cheeks to pinken them. She practised her perfected demure smile and fluttered her lashes. They were in her world now, and Calen was about to see a whole new side of her.

The rustle of skirts reverberated in the hallway as the girls went to dinner. They filed through the dining room doorway one by one, with Micara in the rear, giving her plenty of time to watch the reactions of those standing beside their chairs.

Maggie tossed her curls as she entered, and Micara's bit her lip against a grin when Will's chin dropped. Maggie blinked quickly, not quite achieving the delicate flutter she was attempting, but it worked on Will, who stood dumbfounded, his gaze fixed on her.

Katrina entered with her eyes down, but Micara saw her pink cheeks when Aunt Gladys expressed how lovely she looked and beckoned her to her seat. 

Micara straightened her shoulders and lifted her chin a fraction as she entered the room. There was one set of eyes she hoped to capture with her entrance, and when she did, she felt a blush creep onto her cheeks. She hadn't needed to pinch them at all.

Calen's gaze locked onto her and followed her to her seat. His eyes were stormy and intense. She watched them travel from her face to her hem and then back up again, before meeting her eyes. The look he gave her made her stomach flutter.

She startled slightly at Will's hand on her elbow as he held her chair for her to sit. She saw Calen work a smirk off his face as he assisted Katrina.