Chapter 11

Micara could not sleep for the rest of the night. She had been too afraid to return to the tent, so she had stayed beside Calen. Each time she had come close to dozing off, the cougar's eyes had flashed in her mind, startling her awake. Calen had remained alert the entire night, his eyes never once straying lest he be caught off guard by the fierce creature. Will on the other hand, slept peacefully until morning, completely oblivious to the possible danger.

Calen arose as soon as it was light enough to travel. He shook Micara slightly and she blushed in embarrassment when she realized she had been leaning partly against him. Thankfully he said nothing about it. He woke Will and they began to break camp. Within the quarter hour they had everything packed in the canoes.

Cara followed the men down to the bank and waited patiently beside Calen's canoe while he stowed the tent in Will's. Once Will was settled inside the boat, Calen pushed it off the bank.

Cara looked down at Calen's canoe, wondering how she was to manage its swaying as she climbed in without Will to assist her as he had previously done. It would be difficult indeed.

She was about to lift her skirts to clamber aboard when Calen, who had approached soundlessly, cleared his throat. "Lass, might I offer ye some help?"

He extended his hand. Micara took it slowly, somewhat astonished by his politeness. "My thanks, Monsieur Donelly."

He helped her inside, one hand grasping her's and the other at her waist to steady he against the canoe's bobbing motions. It was the most gentlemanly act Micara had witnessed from him so far.

Once she was settled, he climbed inside and pushed off with the wooden paddle, following William's path.

As they entered the river, Cara was struck once again by its vast size. She could scarcely see the trees on the far bank. She regarded it with fear-tinged amazement. She would be much more careful in the canoe from now on, her experience in the water yesterday giving her a greater appreciation for the unforgiving side of nature.

Cara looked away from the water, her heart pounding rapidly. It seemed the world was trying to scare her to death, if not from ferocious night creatures, than from nature itself. As she looked up, she noticed Calen move his gaze from her back to the river. No doubt he thought her a frightened child.

Micara watched him as he paddled, partly to distract herself from the water, and partly out of curiosity. Despite having had no sleep the night before, he looked just as energetic as usual, and paddled the same tireless rhythm as the other days. Something was different today though, instead of constantly watching the water, more often than not his eyes were fixed on the river bank, searching the trees for something.

"What are you looking for?" Micara asked the next time he scanned the shoreline.

Calen glanced at her and gave his answer in the breif seconds that their eyes met, "Nothing."

Micara frowned at him. She could tell he was lying and it bothered her. He was keeping something from her and she was not one to be content in ignorance.

She waited a few minutes until he again looked at the shore.

"You are looking for something," she said accusingly, pointing to the riverbank, "You keep staring at the trees, searching for it."

"Tis none of yer concern," he said, his tone trying to close the matter.

"None of my concern? Mr. Donelly, anything that happens on the boat ride is of my concern. I demand to know."

He laid his paddle across his knees and looked at her calmly. "Ye demand, do ye?" he said, his eyebrows slightly raised. "I'd like to know what gives ye the authority to be demanding anything."