Chapter 28

Calen attacked the old log with a deliberate intensity. He kept the axe in his hand at a steady rhythm, however, it was not the fallen tree that occupied his thoughts. The end of Micara's stay at the Donelly's was rapidly approaching. It was already half over and Calen found himself dreading the day of her departure. She fit so well with his family. His parents and sisters would miss her when she was gone. He would miss her when she was gone. 

His mum had been obvious in her matchmaking, and even his sisters had dropped subtle clues as to their thoughts on the arrangement. Calen would be lying if he said he had not considered such thoughts himself. He was not blind; he saw the incredible woman that Micara was. She had and intelligent mind, a witty tongue, and an indomitable spirit. Even when he had had his mind set against her, he had still been impressed by her courage and determination. And underneath it all beat a kind heart and a gentle soul. She was a wondrous creature from another world. And that was what held him back.

He had been attached to a woman of similar background before, and that had left him bruised and brokenhearted. It was not that he feared Micara would use him as carelessly as Christine had, instead he was afraid that she would see him as his once fiancé had, as inadequate and unworthy. He could not provide the luxuries she was accustomed to. Any life they would have together would be full of hardships. He had seen what the years of labour and suffering had done to his mum; the spark in her eyes had almost completely gone out. Calen did not know if he could bear being the reason should the same thing happen to Cara once she had been removed from the lifestyle she had been raised in.

As if on cue, her laugh floated to him from the cabin doorway. Calen paused his chopping for a breather. He saw Micara and his sisters make their way down the path to the river, each of them toting along a bucket. They filled their buckets, Cara laughing again when Maggie flicked water at her and Katrina.

"Ye've made short work o' this ole tree," Teig said, surprising Calen by appearing behind him while he had been thinking.

"Aye," Calen replied, returning from his thoughts and focusing on the felled log. He had sawed it into manageable sections and was now working his way through them, splitting them into firewood sizes, "There's no work better fer thinking than chopping firewood."

"Aye," Teig agreed thoughtfully. He turned his attention to the river where the girls were hauling now-full buckets back up the pathway. "The lass gets on well with yer sisters," he commented.

Calen nodded. "She does."

"When does she leave?" Trig asked.

"Five days."

Teig eyed his son discerningly. "And yer ta let that stand?"

Calen looked at his father in surprise.

Trig gave him a half smile. "Son, I see it in yer face. Ye'd rather the sun cease rising than see the lass leave this place."

Calen could not deny the truth in his Da's words, even as unexpected as it was to hear such talk from Teig at all. "Aye. I wish she did nae have to go."

"And why must she?"

"She belongs in Trenton, Da. I could not ask her to stay here."

"Do ye want her?" Trig asked.

"Da..." Calen began.

"Son," Teig said, ignoring Calen's protest, "Do ye want her?"

"Aye." Calen said resignedly.

Teig clapped Calen on the shoulder. "Good. Then go get her."

Calen smiled slightly at the decisive way Teig spoke. If only it was so simple. "Aye," he agreed half heartedly.