Chapter 32

"Hello, the cabin," A voice came from down by the river and drew the Donelly's, and Will who was visiting, from the cabin. Tuck was anchoring his canoe. He amble up the worn dirt path when he was through. He was not generally one to announce his arrival, and so Calen was wary of his purpose.

Katrina welcomed him with a chaste kiss on the cheek and he stooped just low enough to accept it.

"Lad," Teig acknowledged him expectantly.

Formality was a rare thing in the Donelly household and the use of it now put Calen even further on edge.

Tuck reached into the inside pocket of his buckskin over-shirt and pulled a square of white paper from it. "Mactavish had this at the Trenton port and asked that I deliver it."

Calen grew more uneasy as his Da took the paper from Tuck. Mactavish, the port overseer and unofficial post master, always kept the Donelly mail, what little of it there was, until Calen could pick it up himself. There hadn't been a letter yet that warranted special delivery.

"To whom tis it addressed, son?" Teig asked, handing over the letter.

Calen took it, examining the calligraphy on the envelope. It was post marked four days earlier and the red sealing wax was stamped with some sort of flower. "To me," he answered with surprise.

Maggie edged closer to him and peered over his arm. "Open it," she whispered, and Shannon agreed with a soft, "Aye."

Calen broke the seal and unfolded the paper. Maggie drew in an awed breath. She could not read as well as he, but the intricate curling letters on the page did not need to be read to be admired.

"Tis to ye as well, William," he said, and then read the letter aloud.

From The Hand Of 

Gladys Marie DeMonae Lapiette Munroe Dumont Freeman

My dear Monsieurs,

In celebration of the arrival of my beloved niece, and in thanks for your valiant display of courage and integrity for delivering her to me, I do request your attendance in one fortnight at my residence in Trenton for a dinner and Gala held in her honour. It would be my pleasure to host you for a short stay before and afterwards in accordance to the difficulties of travel.

We await your arrival.

With best wishes,

Madame Freeman.

Post Script

My niece sends her warm regards to your family and extends the invitation that they are welcome in our home at any time.

Maggie squealed. "An invitation! I have never seen a real invitation! And to a gala!"

Calen didn't know how to respond. He had never been put in such a situation before, and had never expected to be.

"What does it mean?" Shannon asked, "Will ye be going to Trenton?"

Calen hesitated, but Maggie answered for him, "Of course we'll be going!" She snatched the letter from Calen's hands and practically danced to her mother's side. "Tis a gala, and that means dancing, and music, and finery."

Calen raised his eyebrows. "We?"

Maggie's expression changed in an instant. "Yes, we," she exclaimed, "You may have gotten an invitation from Mrs. Freeman, but I got one from Micara."