Chapter 3

Silence prevailed on their river ride, Micara stewing silently, and Calen studiously ignoring her as he deftly handled the canoe. A swift current pulled them along the river, and only an occasional dip of the paddle was needed to keep them on course.

The forest drifted by kilometer after kilometer on either side of the river. Micara soon grew bored and began to fidget at the bow of the canoe. She searched the trees on the banks, watched the ripples in the water, picked at the lint and specks of dirt on her clothing, and finally began the last resort of making pleats in her skirt.

She finally gave up with a sigh and looked at Calen. He gave her a tiny smile, looked at Will, who nodded his head, and began to sing.

If I were a lad, a lad again,
If I were a lad in Ireland,
I'd race over hills of grass and stone,
and lose my voice to the ocean.

If I were a lad, a lad again,
If I were a lad in Ireland,
I'd court me a lass with fiery hair,
One who'd oft lose her temper.

If I were a lad, a lad again,
If I were a lad in Ireland,
I'd marry my girl, we'd soon be wed,
And settle down in the village.

Alas I'm a lad, a lad no more,
I've left my home in Ireland,
I miss my girl with fiery hair,
And the green Emerald Isle.

Micara sat in awed silence as Calen and Will wove a tune with their voices. Will was a tenor and Calen a bass. They sang slightly different tunes and their voices blended wonderfully. They both sang the first part of each verse, and then one was silent as the other sang the last two lines. They sang heartily, and put more vigor into their paddling as they did so. The river had slowed some due to its widened banks, and more muscle was needed to propel the canoe forward.

When they were finished, Will was grinning, and Calen had pleasant smile on his face. Micara smiled. 

"Will you sing another?" she asked.

Will looked at Calen and asked, "Katherine?" Calen nodded and they began to sing.

Oh Katherine, my girl, my bonny sweet lass,
I wish you were here with me,

But you're buried away in a courtyard of stone,
No longer for me to see.

If you were here, I wonder if we'd,
Ever be wed some day,
Or if you'd take up with some other man,
And I'd go my own way.

I'll never know what'd happen with us,
For you were taken by fate,
But I'll stay true to you and see you again,
Oh Katherine will you please wait?

Unlike the first song, this one had a sad slow rhythm. The men's paddles now moved in long, graceful strokes. Even the river quieted seemingly in response to this somber ballad. Calen's sigh broke the deep silence, freeing Micara from her thoughts.

"Never was too fond of that one," Will said.

Micara gasped. "Will, how could you say that? I've never heard something so romantic in my life."

He shrugged. "Seems foolish to me, writing a song like that, songs are supposed to please us, not sadden us."

Micara shok her head. "No Will, songs are like books or art, a song tells a story and paints a picture for those who listen to hear and see."

Will's eyebrows drew together and he frowned. Micara forgot her fear of tipping into the water and talked excitedly, using her hands to accentuate her words. "Can't you just picture the man kneeling beside Katherine's grave, telling her he would see her again, even if it took death to do it?"