Chapter 2

One and a half months later

Micara awoke with the dawn light. May first. The morning held no cheer. Though the sun shone through the windows, and birds chirped merrily, nothing would make this day a happy one. She was going away. Having to trek across kilometers of forest and face dangers of all sorts. No, this day would not be a joyful one.

Over the past month, Cara had unsucsessfully pleaded, argued, and reasoned in hopes of her father letting her stay by herself at home. She had used her saftey as a bargaining chip, and had threatened, quite childishly, to run away. Alas, her father had been firm, never once straying from the original plan, keeping his deal with the coeur de bois from a month ago that he would take Micara to Dryden on his trip back from selling furs. Jaques had been immune to the weeping and anger and Micara had been forced, finally, to accept defeat and reality of leaving.

So, she had reluctantly prepared for her trip, with the help of practical Bernetta. Her imported dresses of silks and lace had to be left inside the wardrobe and new things were ordered. Leather walking shoes replaced satin slippers, while skirts and blouses of cotton, linen, and wool had taken the place of dainty finery. Bernetta had skillfully packed the small trunk Micara was allowed to take with all sorts of clothing, from thin cotton to heavy wool saying,"There's bound to be some rain," and, "The nights still hold a chill." After the essential packing, Micara had still managed to squeeze in her own 'necessities', her favourite book, her silver hair brush, and a miniature portrait of her mother.

Micara sighed as she rose from bed. She quickly dressed in a drab grey skirt and white shirtwaist.

"I feel like a school marm," she muttered to herself as she descended the stairs from her room. When she reached the hallway, she noticed her trunk missing from its space beside the door. Walking towards the dining room, she almost collided with Jaques as he came from the library.

"You have just enough time to eat breakfast," he said, "We're to meet the courier at the dock in a half hour's time."

"I have no desire to eat," Micara replied coldly. 

Jaques sighed, "Cara, don't behave this way."

Micara ignored him as she walked to the door. "Shall we be off?" she asked.

With an even louder sigh, Jaques followed her to the door and snagged his tri-cornered hat as he walked out of the house. 

The carriage ride to the small river dock was a silent one. As they pulled to a halt, Micara spied the Reginald coach near the river. Though Micara had broken it off with Phineas, he had come to see her off.

She stepped out of the carriage and without waiting for Jaques, walked towards the dock where two canoes were tied. Two men dressed in Coeur de bois deer skins were standing at the end of the dock. With quick strides, Micara reached them. She spoke down to them and she inquired, "Have my things arrived?"

One of the men rolled his eyes at her haughty tone. He then bowed dramatically and said in a mocking Scottish brogue, "Aye your Ladyship, that they have."

Micara was taken aback by this kind of treatment and became indignant at his remark. "You, Sir, are no gentleman!" she exclaimed.

His stormy grey eyes flashed and his lips pulled into a roguish smile that exposed even white teeth as he said, "Never claimed to be one."

Micara didn't know how to respond to that. Thankfully, the other man stepped up and took over the conversation. "My apologies Ma'am, he meant nothing by it. My name is Will Tuckett, and this is Calen Donelly."

Will looked quite young, he had bright green eyes, a tanned, clean shaven face, dark auburn hair, a nice smile, a well shaped nose and a small cleft in his chin.