Chapter 10

"Where are they?"

Camilo was, as per usual, looking for you as he walked around the town. He asked the children, but after you led them to the school, you excused yourself and left.

If he were to guess where you are, he would have thought that you were dancing alone again by the river near the bridge. The same place he first met you.

He went along and walked to the place he inferred. Camilo grinned to himself, congratulating his small victory since he saw you near the river. You were holding a basket, filling it with flowers and humming to yourself.

Camilo felt himself smiling gently before walking near you, "There you are, hermosa." You perked your head up and turned your head to where you heard him. You smiled brightly as you gestured to him to come nearer.

"C, look at this!" You pulled him closer and made him bend down, "It's a butterfly! But it has gold wings, not just color wise but," she held out your hand, and the butterfly fluttered and landed on your finger tips.

Camilo found you quite charming and magical, with your white dress painted with the earth's creations, rich dirt smudging on your hem, flower prints decorating your skirt and colorful smudges of what he thinks are fruit juices all around..

He found himself placing a half grin on his face, eyes softly lidded as he slouched, leaning a bit closer to you, facing to the butterfly with his eyes staying on you. You did not notice him looking as you kept on showing him the butterfly.

"It also omits a shiny surface! It could've been glowing if it were dark," you let the butterfly fly away as you waved it goodbye, you turned around to look over, eyes twinkling like stars as Camilo tilted his head, finding himself lost in your eyes.

"...it could be Encanto's butterflies," you were excited to see a new species. You finally noticed the sweet gaze from Camilo and found yourself flustered by this. You averted your eyes and looked at the ground, twirling your hair shyly.

You suddenly felt shy when you realized Camilo was looking at you all this time to the point you wonder if you want to continue but Camilo's gentle touch on your shoulder was enough for you to be reassured that he finds it okay, "You don't find it boring, Carlos?" You whispered, a little insecure if you kept on rambling.

Camilo, being the sweet caring person he is, laughed and nudged your shoulder, "I don't mind you talking, hermosa," he simply smiled, crossing his arms and putting them on his knees as you both were crouching down. He placed his chin over his crossed arms and tilted his head, subtly glancing at you, nodding as if to assure you it's fine to talk.

"You know a lot, Sanchez," Camilo chuckled while you smiled, placing a dandelion on his hair as you resumed your wonders, "Most of the time, I always go out in the borders to find new things, look at this flower, I think it's a new species!" You giddily showed Camilo the things you have found. For a record, he was swooning at how you shone brighter than he could ever see you before.

Camilo smiled and nodded along, "You really adore foraging, hermosa. Is this why I don't see you often in the town?" You laughed and nodded guiltily, "I feel much more me if I'm here. There's a lot of possibilities just not inside the town!"

"Such as how your family has gifts in the first place! If the candle made Encanto," you stood up, patted your dress and held your waist, shining and grinning in determination, "Then what else did it make? Like look, Camilo!" You smiled even more, pulling him and showing the Madrigal a caterpillar with an exquisite design, "It's a pretty one!"

Oh how Camilo melted and enjoyed how expressive and free you are, he couldn't stop thinking about how your eyes lit up at the sight of something uncommon or unfamiliar, how little habits make sense and how you talk. You went on and on while you two were walking around, and Camilo particularly adored how you talk with your hands, making expressive actions to compliment your words. He was starting to find comfort in your presence even though you both only met for few days.