Chapter 16

"Mama, whose daughter?" 

Bruno repeated, looking at his mother anxiously with worry. He hesitantly held her shoulders as he looked at Abuela Alma, "What did you say to Omilietta, Mama?" He pressed as the Matriarch looked away, piercing her lips together. 

"I'm merely thinking that Omilietta would be a possible child of yours, mi Hijo," She defended herself, "How else could Constanza disappear years ago? And coming back to the light with a child and having you be her godfather out of all people?" Bruno stared at her, the last part struck on him as he shook his head. 

"Mama, I've been telling you this ever since we stayed with Senora Maria," he reminded her as he fiddled his hands nervously, "I cannot love someone who already loved someone else, Mama, please," Bruno looked at his mother, pleadingly to stop tying him to someone, "You're just hurting us both."

Camilo was still in a moment of disbelief, muting the noises from Abuela and Bruno. He was in the loop of the possibility that his feelings will be all for nothing more. He held his head before barely hearing the two bickering about the person he wanted. 

Wanted? 

What on earth was he thinking? He laughed sourly, why would he want you? Why? Why- why? No, no, not happening, what's wrong with him- his heart was aching, he wasn't breathing, he couldn't hear anything, he- 

He was stepping. Hesitantly, he was walking, dragging his body. His mind and body may be in a frozen lock of time, but his heart was beating from the stronghold of his denials. He cannot know yet, he cannot lead it yet. 

Yet, his heart did. 

One step turned to two, a walk shifted to a run, a run transitioned to a full-on chase. It felt too slow as he could feel a sudden rush of speed. He went over barrels and slipped through alleys, as long as he can arrive as soon as possible. 

On the person he might call his own home, the one he couldn't afford to lose. 

•°•°•°•°•

You ran and ran, burning your feet with redness as you mustered up all the tears you were choking in. Voices ringing in your head made it difficult to think rationally, as you were bumping to anyone on your way, not hearing their concerned whispers. 

In your home, Constanza was holding a baked pie, clapping off the excess flour on her apron as Friedamour was drinking before stopping. She had that lost glint in her eyes as she looked confused first before staring at Constanza.

Sensing her gaze, Constanza looked around to check on her as Friedamour was feeling nervous all of the sudden. "Mi amor," Friedamour was biting an apple, "Yes, Amour?"

"...do you think I should've gave Omilietta an umbrella?" Constanza blinked at her wife before opening her mouth before sighing, "Oh no, you and your weather predictions- Is it nature wise or-" Friedamour thought of it for a moment, "My instinct says it's natural."

Constanza raised her brows before she slowly looked at the door as if waiting for something. She dropped the pie on the counter, holding onto the tabletop before walking towards the door.

You were shutting down all your emotions as much as you can, but the emotions you felt were too overwhelming since you were still trying to find yourself. You were obsessed with finding what was missing in your heart as you could barely hold in it. You faced the home you spent all your time with. You panted, you gritted, you stopped. 

You couldn't handle it and opened the door, shaking as you immediately darted your eyes to the people you wanted to be with the most. You gritted your teeth, furrowing your brows as you let out a whimper.