chapt 14 • Oh So Close

"The council is willing to see past your comments towards Annalise since it's your first offense

"The council is willing to see past your comments towards Annalise since it's your first offense. They recommended you go to counseling, they believe you have a lot of pent-up anger" Carter taps the pen against his index finger.

"Tell them I said thanks for the offer" I stood up from the uncomfortable wooden chair. "But I disrespectfully decline."

"Honey, I recommend you try. There's nothing wrong with getting help"—

"Trust me, I don't need your advice Mr. Rivers" I turn the knob of the door, hearing a sigh behind me before I step outside and shut the door.

The last thing I wanted was to sit in someone's office while they write down my problems only to feed them back to the council, so they come to some psychological conclusion.

To them, I was the exact definition of everything they teach students not to be.

Their prestigious school was already failing behind their eyes. There were relationships they weren't aware of, sneaking off to the frat parties on the weekends and coming back with a bit of a hangover. The cameras might have been everywhere but there was always a blind spot.

I joined Charolette and Quinn in the dining hall.

"Who has you smiling more than ever?" Quinn teased Charolette while playing with her pigtails.

"No one" Charolette's voice speaks up and she averts her eyes down to the fruit bowl in front of her instead.

"It wouldn't have to do with a certain redhead would it?" Quinn points her fork at Astra who's across the room, laughing while stealing short glances at a blushing Charolette.

The same moment Charolette went to defend herself, her phone dinged and Quinn was first to read the message that appeared on the screen.

"Milkshakes?" Charolette took her phone back, quickly typing something as well as ignoring Quinn's knowing gaze.

"Is my favorite shy mate going on a date?" Quinn bit into her pineapple being held up to her mouth with her fork.

"We're only going for milkshakes that's it, she says she isn't a fan of them but she'll give them another try for me. It's not a date" Charolette makes sure to include the fact that it was two friends hanging out.

"You've been "hanging out" a lot lately" Charolette didn't respond, she only picked up a strawberry holding it close to her mouth.

"Only friends" Charolette went to take a bite of the fruit at the same time Astra walked over. She leaned slightly close to Charolette and rose Charolette's hand to her lips keeping the fruit between her finger, biting into it herself.

"Can't wait for today" Her green eyes resembled the smile on her face before she walked away.

Charolette's cheeks warmed and Quinn opened her mouth, "Only friends huh"