'31.0 - SO BE IT.

| CHAPTER THIRTY ONE |

"i'm sorry."

"KEEP UP, YOU DAMNED NERD!"

bakugou barked from ahead of izuku as he cut the branches in his path angrily. "i don't have all day."

"slow down, kachan. there might be trap-"

"hey!" bakugou yelled as izuku threw his weight over at the ash blond and pulled him to the ground with him right as three arrows barely missed their heads.

lying on bakugou's chest, izuku panted "as i was saying. traps."

"get off me!" though he didn't wait for izuku to get off. rather pushed him off of himself and stood up. "don't touch me again!"

"sure, i'll just let you die next time." izuku rolled his eyes at the ungrateful hafling.

"don't roll your eyes at me, dammit!"

bakugou walked to the tree now pierced with three arrows and watched as black shadows slowly crawled up the bark and killed the leaves until they turned into black dust.

"what the hell..." izuku murmured next to him.

"they're cursed arrows."

the ash-blond turned around to the sound of the voice he hadn't heard in years. the voice of the man he'd promised to kill. "ryker" bakugou spit out.

"dad. good." izuku let out a relieved sigh.

"you fucking traiter." bakugou raised his sword at the green-haired boy. "you were the one who told them about our attack. you're the reason my soldiers are dying out there. you warned them, you little shit. i'm gonna kill you!"

"wait, bakugou, stop." izuku barely managed to block the halfling's sword with his.

"what? you're gonna tell me you didn't spill our plans for your daddy?"

"no, i mean yes, but he's on our side."

"i've been waiting for you, my boy." ryker took a step towards katsuki but stopped in place when the halfling's took out another sword and aimed at his chest, without taking his eyes off of izuku.

"i'll get to you next, old man. wait your turn."

"listen to him, kachan. just listen for a minute." izuku pleaded.

"boys, we don't have much time left. you have to go get the sword of light."

to that bakugou turned and looked at the man "damn right i do." he bared his teeth at the man who'd murdered his family "right after i kill you."

"kachan, wait. don't, please!" izuku begged with his hands raised in surrender.

"give me one good reason why i shouldn't end my parents' killer right here and now. then end you for compromising our position, deku." the ash blond managed to grit out.

"because he's on our side! because he hates the guardians up here, too!" izuku explained, "and most of all because he's not the one responsible for killing your parents!"

"liar!"

"it's true, son." ryker took a step forward until the tip of katsuki's sword broke the skin, and gold ichor spread over the thin material of his shirt "i sent izuku down to protect you. to make sure you'll come back. we have been waiting for you. the resistance has been waiting for you. the one who's not an angel or a demon yet is stronger than both."

no, no, no. bakugou's heart was racing. everything he believed, everything he knew, they were all lies. the hatred he'd grown and used to fuel his revenge, his plan, the reason he'd lived for, they were pointless now, aimed in the wrong direction, at the wrong person. "who did it then. who killed them?" his voice came out barely above a whisper.

when the father and son didn't reply, bakugou raised his head and yelled "who is my father's murderer?"

"that would be the head of the council." ryker replied.

bakugou took a sharp breath in. it couldn't be. this couldn't have been happening. he loved you. he loved you so much he would die for you.

but he'd made a promise to himself way before he made any promises to you. so he only hesitated for a few seconds, dreaded the love he was going to lose for mere beats before turning to ryker again "take me to the sword of light and then to venus's dad."

"she won't forgive you if you hurt her family, kachan."

"i won't forgive myself if i don't." katsuki sheathed his swords.

"don't do this! she'll kill you!" izuku pleaded.

bakugou's eyes flashed red, his fist clenched and unclenched twice before he said "then so be it."

in case you ever foolishly forget:
i am never not thinking of you